*Bonds*: Can bonds be with the dead?

*Bonds*: Can bonds be with the dead? A destroyed community? Before or after the fact? Perhaps it's a strange question, but I envision my character with such a bond. New to all this, I'm not sure I really understand the implications if the person/entity is dead/gone or dies/destroyed.

Comments

  1. Cool question, Spencer Salyer. Bonds do live after death, so you retain a bond if that person is killed or that community is destroyed. You don't erase the ticks on your character sheet unless you Test Your Bond and fail. Can you then leverage the mechanical bonus for the bond on appropriate moves? Let's break down a few examples.

    Certainly I think it's fine to Swear an Iron Vow to someone or a community which no longer exists, and leverage the +1 for the bond.

    Gather Information is tougher, though there's a communion ritual that lets you speak to the dead.

    Sojourn would require some shenanigans, unless you decide that the spirits of the destroyed community are still there to help you (creepy, but cool).

    So, general answer is yes, though with an understanding that adding such a bond as a background bond will limit some of it's mechanical potential (but lots of cool narrative potential, which always wins).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Shawn Tomkin ! Things are coming together and I'm excited to give this a try, hopefully tonight. I've got my character concept, 2/3 bonds, background vow, inciting incident, as well as some Ironlands setting truths in mind. Just trying to figure out my starting assets and read through the moves before things get serious!

    Unrelated, but your Downloads page on my mobile phone (Android/Pixel 2, Chrome browser), there's a discrepancy between where I tap and where the "click" is registered, which is a good finger width above the actual tap. Weird, but I figured out about where to press to download what I needed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm ... thanks, Spencer. That's odd and frustrating. I'll see if I can get it sorted. I believe you can also click on the thumbnails, which might give you a larger area to compensate for whatever error is happening there.

    Good luck with your game, and thanks for giving it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could also make progress on a bond with a destroyed community by investigating what happened to them, or even by tracking down whoever destroyed them to gather more information and understand what really happened.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I'm trying to continue my solo game, now that all the rules are "stable". But I think to have problems to understand Bonds. From what I understand (now), there's only one track for all the bonds. Correct?
    So, when I forge a bond, I simply put down a note to remember the person I forged the bond with, the kind of link/emotion, and then I roll. If I succeed, I mark a single Tick, etc. etc.
    Then, under Test a Bond, I see "clear the bond". This means "put a line/delete the note you did about that person and the kind of link you have with him". Correct? It has nothing to do with the Tick i put before, or with something like "clear the Bond track". Correct?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment