Can someone quickly explain the combat system to me like I'm 5?

Can someone quickly explain the combat system to me like I'm 5? I'm very new to RPGs and really wanna get into Ironsworn but I just can't understand the combat. So let me see if I have this right

1. To begin combat I have to enter the fray to check for initative
2. Clash or Strike depending on initiative
3. Pay the Price if I fail

So do I pay the price and take damage and then keep going? Or do I just pay the price and call it a day? I'm not really sure how to end a fight that doesn't end in one of our deaths because I don't have enough progress to make the End a Fight move. I'm sorry if this sounds dumb I just really have no idea what I'm doing and I've re-read the rules a bunch haha

Thanks in Advance :)

Comments

  1. While surely you'll have good advices from other users soon, I suggest you two things: first of all, if memory serves me right, there's a whole combat example in the core book (that one versus a wyvern); second, try to search the solo play reports that some user did, probably some of them put the whole "math" side by side with the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mark progress on the combat progress track by inflicting harm. When you decide your track is advanced enough, you make the End the Fight move to decide if the fight ends in your favor or if you misjudged the situation and actually lose.

    In combat, Pay the Price represents you taking harm (and losing health). Note that it can represent something else, if you want to add suspense and, maybe, not die just now : a weapon breaks, your character falls off and is at disadvantage, your character is intimidated and must suffer harm on his spirit track...

    Pay the Price in combat is not the end of the combat : a fight ends only with your character's death or the End the Fight move.

    Hope that helps !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just posted a combat write up and Shawn was kind enough to read it and offer some advice. You may find it helpful.

    Paying the Price doesn't always mean taking damage. It could affect your Supply, your Spirit, or maybe just put your character in an even tougher spot narratively.

    You can also use non-combat moves like Secure an Advantage and Face Danger to sway things back in your favor. You can also just run away or cause the opponent to flee or surrender if it's justified in the fiction (Compel might be another one to use, especially in those two circumstances).

    Hope this helps.
    plus.google.com - I didn't really proofread this, so apologies in advance. :) I am eager to kn...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tyler Christiansen. If you'd like to join the Ironsworn discord, I'd be happy to walk you through a combat scenario over the next couple of days. That may be the best way to help you learn. You can ping me on the discord server @Shawn Tomkin.

    Here's an invite: discordapp.com - Discord - Free voice and text chat for gamers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, the upcoming reference guide includes a summary of the types of moves you make with and without initiative, which I think/hope is helpful.


    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/eGwu1f-y6N-c_w5OjMU82kuKTPMkoR0gPVo4DWxW_32LLMGymndG3qPbAwVt6PLLwe9RJ7F-v3a2TsJc0bagubRwLhs5KChTgNU=s0

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah! Thank you everyone so much! I'm starting to get the hang of things more and am having a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd like to join the Discord channel - can I get a new invite (the one in this thread no longer works)?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Per Fischer. Here's a permanent link: https://discordapp.com/invite/8fpWH6J. Looking forward to seeing you there.

    (You'll find this link and other community groups at https://www.ironswornrpg.com/community). Thanks!
    discordapp.com - Discord - Free voice and text chat for gamers

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment