Hello!

Hello! I've started a solo campaign of Ironsworn, which is my first attempt at both Ironsworn and a solo RPG. This first session I introduce the character of Verena Boarwater, a marshmaiden herbalist from Brightmire in The Flooded Lands. The text veers between an in-character journal and OOC commentary on the game mechanics.

Thank you to Shawn Tomkin for creating such a fascinating game and to the Ironsworn community for inspiring me to post this AP! Mark +1bond.

Comments

  1. Wow. What a coincidence! I started with the exact same assets (though my Hound remains a hound), though instead of bogs, my character ventured into mountains.

    Overall, a nice read too. The mixture of mechanics and fiction give a great example of how to play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam Sarjant Thanks! I rolled up Boar + Water on a random table somewhere and thought it good inspiration for both a starting location and a companion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice play report, Paul Staxx Spraget. Thank you! For your epic fight with the marsh rat (hah), you're free to have the damn thing just skitter off. Since you're leading with the fiction, a lone marsh rat probably isn't going to be particularly committed to continuing to gnaw at you after it takes a hit or two. You can even Ask the Oracle "Does the rat scamper away?". Since it has initiative, you can let it disappear into the reeds, leaving your character a bit battered and flummoxed by her somewhat poor showing against the creature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shawn Tomkin Thanks Shawn, that's some good advice. If I was GMing a different game I prob would have had the Marsh Rat scamper back to its burrow after drawing first blood, but cuz I'm new to solo play kinda I thought that would have been going too easy on myself?

    I fucking love the Oracle mechanic, it's basically a turbo weaponised hardcoded version of Vincent Baker's 'Sometimes, Disclaim Decision Making' MC move! Some of the things the oracle threw up at me in my 2nd session have totally blown me away... although the beauty of the matter is that those things were already inside my mind and the Oracle move just shone light on them from an unexpected perspective. Brilliant game design, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll second Shawn Tomkin, that was a very good play report Paul Staxx Spraget. The writing and prose and clean and have a nice cadence. I particularly like the parenthetical citation of assets, bonds, and world truths. I might try to be more laconic in my rule descriptions and try something similar.

    Gimble is a great reskin of the hound, Ironsworn can be very brutal, and I look forward to seeing how you attempt to form a bond with Lindowlla. I enjoyed the read and I hope you continue to share your adventures with us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment