In my previous games, I always used Ironsworn in combination with some kind of wargame with which I resolved fights.

In my previous games, I always used Ironsworn in combination with some kind of wargame with which I resolved fights. I am soon going to try Ironsworn combat and I expect it to be as great as the rest of the game.
Since I was initially confused by the several moves involved, I have drawn this flow-chart in order to have a high-level view of how things work. Though the diagram is much simplified, e.g. by ignoring the difference between Strong and Weak Hits and excluding suffer moves, I think it was helpful to me.
If I understand correctly, the structure is mostly symmetrical: the side with initiative can either manoeuvre (Secure an Advantage or Face Danger) or attack (Strike or Clash). If they have some kind of leverage, players have the option of trying to exit the fight by "negotiation" (Compel) at any moment. If they are being effective (Strong Hit), they can try to End the Fight by overcoming the opponent with a final attack.
Holy... THIS is what I wanted when I started playing and tried, unsuccessfully, to make just this! OMG, thanks!!
ReplyDelete📌
ReplyDeleteThe way this is structured makes it seem like the fight ends after just one round of combat. That isn't the case, is it? Thats not how I understood it, at least.
ReplyDeleteShawn Tomkin what's the chances of this, or something similar being added to "Lodestar"?
ReplyDeleteMichael Perfeito No, ending the fight is elective based on when you feel you can risk the move to do so.
ReplyDeleteJohn Risus That's what I thought
ReplyDeleteMichael Perfeito It's not a perfect diagram, it does require understanding the basics of the game, but it is far better than what I was able to come up with when I tried to draw the process out. I think it would be a great reminder to new players if put in something like "Lodestar" though.
ReplyDeleteHey, John Risus. Would be nice to add something like this to Lodestar, but I am presently content locked on the document. Also, I haven't really cracked the code for a flow chart that doesn't feel too rigid but is also at-a-glance simple. This is cool though!
ReplyDeleteI am tweaking some of the phrasing around the "Other Moves to Use in Combat" block to hopefully make it a bit easier to grok.