New player getting set up
New player getting set up
Hi community! I’m prepping for my first solo play of Ironsworn, having just picked up the PDF. The various play aids and layout of materials is excellent and I’m hoping some of you can share description and/or photos or your play space.
As a solo player with small children in the house, I have little time or space for my game materials and am very keen on keeping a minimal foot print.
Has anyone used moleskines or bullet journals to manage documents? What about pocketmods or other alternatives for the asset cards?
Thanks for sharing!
Hi community! I’m prepping for my first solo play of Ironsworn, having just picked up the PDF. The various play aids and layout of materials is excellent and I’m hoping some of you can share description and/or photos or your play space.
As a solo player with small children in the house, I have little time or space for my game materials and am very keen on keeping a minimal foot print.
Has anyone used moleskines or bullet journals to manage documents? What about pocketmods or other alternatives for the asset cards?
Thanks for sharing!
In the past, I've done my solo'ing in a Google Doc (narrative in the body, mechanics in comments) and rolling on my phone. Here's an example of that: https://docs.google.com/document/d/13VjoNeXPIIwTrc2baHhRmrUYOIe030sfWeR_WhsDNwQ/edit?usp=drive_web&ouid=103800051422038412281
ReplyDeleteI've been meaning to shift over to doing my next solo on RoleGate, which is pretty one-stop-shop. Here's an example of that (not mine): rolegate.com - Role Gate | Ironsworn: Edda's Tale (solo)
For playing on the bus, been considering a bullet journal and dice rolling on the phone. The Chartopia Oracles that Shawn posted are very helpful too, can be rolled from the phone without having to revert to another book. I find the only thing that's missing is a very concise move list that I can print and stick in my notebook. Something like a Landscape two 8/11 Half-pagers would be wonderful.
ReplyDeleteThat's another point in favor of RoleGate, actually: Krzysztof Czopek wrote up a Helper (informational sidebar that can be added to a game) with all the Ironsworn moves in it straight from the Moves reference.
ReplyDeleteAs others have said, you can go totally digital and have no physical footprint. I prefer pen & paper, though, taking notes bullet-journal-style, and will often make my own pocket-sized tools/references out of index cards or pocketmods (but haven't yet done so for Ironsworn).
ReplyDeleteHere's my current Ironsworn game, including the book and full size character sheet. At top left (unrelated, but for illustrative purposes) is a pocketable set of paper tools including a Mythic GME reference, random number tables from a statistics book (requires a bit of mental math for die rolls), and B/X character sheets (pocketmod from Dyson Logos).
It's still pretty portable, even with the hardcover book.https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/3Nk4F-BjirDahLOFbL684NVV9mvUyZ-EJ0K6c_1YKK-CeLLVQWIIlbK8Anw-x0TRoXVwMweSqmu9TnmgkVNBv-Bwo3d--zChv-ss=s0
Spencer Salyer oooo, nice. I hope to setup similar to yours. I like pen&paper for writing out the session but will probably then go digital with the book and dice. My biggest concern, then, is all the ancillary materials - char sheet, trackers, assets. To go digital or not?
ReplyDeleteAt the very least, trying things out and hearing about others' experiences is fun.
Hey Matthew, I've found a lot of success with this set-up (link below). Reference sheets are glued to the end pages; fold them out when you're ready to play and then just fold them all back in when you're done. Character sheets and assets fit in a little pocket in the back and I use my phone for specific oracles (the chartopia page is a great resource). All of this in a rather compact A5 sized bullet journal. Hope this helps!
ReplyDeleteimgur.com - Imgur
You may try searching within the Lone Wolf Roleplaying community here on G+, as this topic comes up there periodically and people have some neat solutions for portability.
ReplyDeleteM. Quintanilla Brilliant, yes! Also, I get to buy another Moleskine.
ReplyDeleteSpencer Salyer Lone Wolf is a definite trove of treasures, I appreciate that community very much. I think Ironsworn has made the need for specific materials more apparent and necessary while for other games they may be optional, subjective, or non-existent.
When soloing, you only need your three assets, no need for cards: these and all your character stats, progress tracks, bonds etc easily fit in an A5 page (I use an A4 notebook and all the character data fit in half a page, with plenty of blank space, top left in the picture). I am a fan of analogical, but the Chartopia oracles by Justin Gordon are so convenient that I converted to them :)
ReplyDeletehttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/ObBGD8tXx6vABgYirOErBIGm8yalSbK-Z5Gf11RDtCwCM0rXD7FRA4kzjP5wiJA84G8cEAW70d0JcxoI6YYfrjik5UmJ9fnj29U=s0
I’ve done two videos demonstrating my solo play and you can find them in the Ironsworn playlist on my channel. These might give you some ideas as to how to get started. Here’s the first:
ReplyDeleteyoutube.com - Ironsworn (gameplay demo)