Shawn Tomkin I'm curious about the reasons behind the kinda wacky numbers of the Ask the Oracle move.

Shawn Tomkin I'm curious about the reasons behind the kinda wacky numbers of the Ask the Oracle move.

11+
26+
51+
76+
91+

It's kinda hard to remember (not that you really need to).
I guess it's just increments of 25 except for the first and last and then adding 1 to all but why?

Comments

  1. Also why not just use 1d10 and have results 1, 2, 5, 7, 9?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Addramyr Palinor!

    Question 1: A few reasons ... First of all, I preferred to make the ranges inclusive, because that's how it's handled in other tables (as opposed to saying "Greater than 50"). Secondly, I also had a preference for higher odds lower in the 1-100 scale, and lower odds at the top (as opposed to saying "50 or less"), as just an aesthetic thing.

    Question 2: Because the D100 "Oracle dice" are sort of a thing in the game, and matches have meaning on this table. I could have dictated just ignoring the 2nd D10 except as a way to generate matches, but that feels like a bit more of a kludge than just making it a D100 table.

    Good points nonetheless :) . Easy to adjust to your preferences if you find it a bit awkward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nah don't feel I need to adjust was just curious of the thinking behind.
    Does makes sense.

    Do Oracle rolls matches are a thing?
    It's treated same as matches on the challenge dice?

    ReplyDelete
  4. For most oracle tables, matches are ignored. However, this particular table is an exception (per the text below the table: "an extreme result or twist has occurred.") The Ask the Oracle table is a very open-ended question/answer engine, so it works nicely to use a match as a way of representing something unexpected.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment