This is my first solo whack at Ironsworn and PbtA, so I'm hoping for some feedback on if I'm doing it right before I...

This is my first solo whack at Ironsworn and PbtA, so I'm hoping for some feedback on if I'm doing it right before I continue much further, if any of you are prone to such indulgences. :)
https://wispsoftime.com/content/in-which-i-swear-an-iron-vow/

Comments

  1. P.S. Specifically, I'm not quite sure if should make another Move like Secure and Advantage as Ulthor attempts to lose his pursuers, or just assume he succeeded based on the last Face Danger result, then maybe fast forward to Make Camp in the forest?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I was waiting impatiently for you to take a crack at Ironsworn, Spencer Salyer! Can't wait to read it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks interesting. On a different note: where’s the art from? It’s quite atmospheric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The British Library flickr: they have a ton (over a million?) of copyright free imagery from old books.
    flickr.com - The British Library

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great premise to start with. IRC, there has been some discussion here about vows within vows, so you could vow to prove your innocence and by doing so advance the vow to find the killer as well. Maybe Shawn Tomkin can clear my hazy memory and get you spun up on the idea of doing it this way? I believe epic vows are kind made to do just that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Spencer Salyer! Thanks so much for the blog post and for the first bits of actual play. I know you've been watching progress for a while, so great to see you dive in.

    Personally, don't know if I'd stack additional Secure an Advantage or Face Danger rolls to get out of town. You already dealt with that, and you can anticipate that more misses might box you into a narrative corner. He also doesn't really seem to be in position to Secure an Advantage, as the situation really isn't under his control. I can imagine he has to leave not really prepared, probably down on supply, etc. That's a reasonable outcome of that miss.

    I don't really see any issues with having the Avenge Her Death vow and the Prove My Innocence vow. It's likely that the latter can function as a secondary quest for the former. Once you've established your innocence, you can move forward in trying to met out justice.

    For next steps, I would just consider what your choice to regroup means for your narrative. Does your character know someone out there? Is there a way to get on the path of your quest from the outside-in? Heading into the wilds can be an adventure unto itself, but it'd be nice to have it a bit more purposeful.

    Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, John Risus! Quests within quests is very much a thing, with Fulfilling a Vow on one quest giving you a milestone on a larger quest. There's a fair bit of discussion on how quests interleave in Chapter 7 of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the insight Shawn Tomkin ! I do have some ideas for the "outside-in" approach. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment