A friend and I did our own playtest last night.

A friend and I did our own playtest last night. I must say, I'm really taken by Ironsworn. The initiative system, the progress track and End the Fight move mesh together so well. I feel its the most innovative game I've seen since Apocalypse World itself. We found it a bit challenging to come up with ways to fill vow progress tracks, but we're still learning.

Also, can we make the End the Fight move after a Strong Hit on the Face Danger move?

Comments

  1. The text of the move says: When you make a move to *take decisive action*, and score a strong hit, you may resolve the outcome of this fight.

    So the question really comes down to the fiction and what you were doing in that Face Danger. If you felt like you acted decisively then IMO you could definitely End the Fight on it. Glad you enjoyed Ironsworn! We've a great community here, so keep the questions coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words, Richard Robertson. I really appreciate it.

    And, yes, you can End the Fight after any strong hit. This even includes a suffer move. That said, the trigger for End the Fight is "you make a move to take decisive action". So, if you want to be a stickler you can say that the framing for your Face Danger move should support an action that feels "decisive". If you make a move hoping for a strong hit so you can End the Fight, envision/narrate your action as if you're setting up that climactic moment.

    For example, you've scored 9 progress against the raider but he's got initiative. He attacks, and you decide to Face Danger. You don't really need to inflict anymore harm, and Face Danger is a safer choice than Clash.

    You describe your action: "I'm going to dodge out of the way, let his attack carry him past me, and get in a position to slash him from behind."

    You roll, score a strong hit, and decide to End the Fight. You can then just "bundle" your implied attack right into the End the Fight move as part of your narration for the outcome of that move. Your strong hit on Face Danger puts you into a perfect position, you slash at him as he stumbles past (he's already weary and wounded as represented by your progress), and he drops like a sack of potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shawn Tomkin great advice! Do you maybe plan on compiling your explanations, clarification and advice into some kind of document? Sort of like Book of Hanz for Fate, of the Unofficial Dungeon World guide.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment