Had a look back at my early Ironsworn drafts (housed in OneNote), and did a double-take when I saw the February 2016...

Had a look back at my early Ironsworn drafts (housed in OneNote), and did a double-take when I saw the February 2016 edit date. Apparently, I've been working on the game about a year longer than I thought. Where does the time go?
Sidenotes: Ironsworn once used "Pathways" instead of assets. There were four core pathways: Warrior, Rider, Hunter and Mystic. Pretty close to standard PbtA playbooks, with the difference being you could choose à La Carte from any pathway. Playbooks had standard and expert moves. Once you accrued a certain number of moves along a particular pathway, you could select from expert moves. At some point, I decided to disentangle moves from pathways, and those became assets.
In my opinion, assets are much better idea than pathways, they allow for more flexibility and custom characters. I guess that there will be ever more of them (both "official" and fan-made)?
ReplyDeleteI love OneNote.
ReplyDeleteShawn Tomkin What about Expert Assets then? :D
ReplyDeleteYou never know, Freddy W. The idea might come back in some fashion. It's kinda' boiled in currently into the concept of upgrading assets and some assets that are gated by quests, bonds, or debilities. But, it's an interesting idea to have a 2nd tier asset card that you can select once you've upgraded the 1st tier completely.
ReplyDelete