So, I remember reading a guideline telling me I shouldn't make the same combat move more than 3 times in a row.

So, I remember reading a guideline telling me I shouldn't make the same combat move more than 3 times in a row. Do I have that right? So, what if you keep rolling Clash and getting weak hits, or misses for that matter. What other moves can you make when you don't have initiative? Or, are Strike and End the Fight the only moves you can't make without initiative?

Comments

  1. I believe you're also allowed to use Face Danger (as called out on page 86) and Compel (as called out on page 89).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are good examples and they even came with page numbers, thanks!

    The reactive use of Face Danger is curious. It's only useful if an ally is working against you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richard Robertson how so? Face Danger is appropriate for any situation where your character is in danger

    ReplyDelete
  4. To quote Pirates of the Caribbean, the "3 times in a row" thing is "really more of a guideline that an actual rule". It's just a reminder to keep things from getting too repetitive.

    And don't underestimate the value of Face Danger vs Clash. You give up the opportunity to inflict harm, but you get more flexibility on your choice of stat and the penalty on a weak hit is merely a troublesome cost (versus Pay the Price and all that implies for Clash).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Justin Gordon You're right. I was looking at one application of that move and ignoring the rest. It's late here; I should probably go to bed.

    Shawn Tomkin very good points.

    Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Take it from me, player of the unluckiest sonuvabitch in the entire Ironlands: if you can use Face Danger instead of Clash, do it lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment