I meant to share these a while ago, but only just got around to setting up a proper PDF with card-backs for them.

I meant to share these a while ago, but only just got around to setting up a proper PDF with card-backs for them. Four custom assets created with feedback from the stellar Ironswron Discord server, and an extra special shout out to Justin Gordon who co-authored the Bear companion.

It's three new companions: Bear, Harrow Spider (my favorite), and Phantom (probably the poorest of the bunch). Also one custom combat talent in the form of the Slinger.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ntgskhz80xkzfie/AADKiw4v9toPlDeRp8blhY-La?dl=0

I'd really appreciate some feedback on these, as well as suggestions for more custom assets. Also, if you end up using any these in your Ironsworn games let me know, I'd love to hear about it.

Edit: The wording for the "venomous" move on the harrow spider has been updated to make its function more clear.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ntgskhz80xkzfie/AADKiw4v9toPlDeRp8blhY-La?dl=0

Comments

  1. Hey, these look great! I'm going to share them with my players and see how they play in session. My initial thoughts:

    Bear: Ravenous seems rather weak. Partake is a weaker camping move and less frequently used, and the health bonus only affects the bear. Maybe this could also boost Recuperate? Or maybe something like, "When you Make Camp, you may suffer -1 supply. If you do, your bear may recover +2 health."

    Spider: I'm not clear how Venomous is intended to work to retain initiative. Would you declare the use of the ability before rolling? If you get a strong hit and would have initiative anyway, would that still expend the ability?

    The rest look excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joel Britton Hey, thanks for the feedback.

    I somewhat agree with your point about the bear's ravenous move. My issue with "When you Make Camp, you may suffer -1 supply. If you do, your bear may recover +2 health" is that's basically how it works now except that the player character doesn't get any benefit from it like they would with partake... I suppose it would allow you to heal your bear without using up one of your normal make camp options though. It's definitely something to consider.

    The spider's venomous move is intended to be 'activated' after rolling. So if you strike/clash and roll only a weak hit you can still retain initiative, but its not wasted if you happen to roll a strong hit. The original draft mentioned "When you strike or clash alongside your spider and score a weak hit..." but I had to do some heavy editing to fit it all onto the card.
    I'll see what I can do to the wording on the card to clarify a little.

    Edit: Actually, fixing the wording on the spider was fairly easy. It now reads "Once per fight, when you Strike or Clash alongside your spider and score a weak hit, you may expose them to harm to steal/keep initiative."
    I'm updating the files now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, that's a fair point with the bear. I'm not sure exactly how I'd change it. It does need a little something extra though.

    For the spider, if you make your decision after rolling does that eliminate the risk/reward element? Cause if you see the dice you'll already know if the spider will take damage or not. Or is the intent for the spider to automatically take damage when you use this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joel Britton I'd always envisioned Venomous as purely optional. Your spider only takes damage if you actively decide to use their venomous ability to steal initiative. So yes, the spider automatically takes damage every time you use their Venomous move.
    The risk vs reward factor comes in when you make the Companion Endure Harm move, not from the Strike or Clash move.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gotcha. With your edit it makes sense.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment