is there a way to have a more high fantasy system?

is there a way to have a more high fantasy system? may be with a new asset system more close to d&d like magic systeme? (like a sort with level )

Edit : any way , very very interressing game, especially for solo rpg , thanks for the current works guys!

1st Proposal: Maybe take some idea from the "class warfare" of dungeon world for create a asset
In a way the pc creation is close to the ironsworn one : take 3 classes and add starting moves , you can add move by leveling up

Comments

  1. Some other themes are planned and should be in the PDF at some point. An Alpha version of the Assests will probably be released here.

    I think High Fantasy and Sci-fi are two of the possibile extra themes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the idea of an asset creation guide was floated as a possible future project a little down the road. I think that the Assets are fairly hackable as-is though, and would love to look into building some high fantasy themed assets (I know someone did "Blood" assets to cover different races)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome Philippe Tartaise! Thanks for the question!

    I know that Toimu was playing some solo sessions which were geared towards high fantasy, and Ironsworn is relatively flexible with some mild fiddling.

    I haven't looked at Class Warfare. Some of those moves might translate over OK? Ironsworn moves tend to lean a bit more mechanical (part of the emphasis on GM-less play), and there's lots of interactions with stats and momentum that might get lost in the mix.

    I think my focus following the initial release (if there's any demand/interest) will be on a science fiction theme kit and maybe something that is blackpowder-era.

    For the science fiction kit, I am thinking of sub-light adventures around a Jovian planet with a dozen moons. I haven't actually decided if I want to do this as gritty SF (space is cold and silent) or as more pulpy sword-and-planet (John Carter of Mars, etc.)

    For the blackpowder-era kit, I'd like to do something that is Max Max meets Horatio Hornblower meets Game of Thrones. Post-apocalypse Age of Sail adventures in a freezing world. Join the battle for what remains of the habitable lands and resources at the equator, or head north and sail the frozen seas on your skid ship to salvage what you can from the world-that-was.

    The kits will have default settings that you can customize to your liking, but they will also provide additional assets, etc. that you can take and drop into another setting. So, if you want naval adventures in a semi-historical 17th century, you can take the "Wooden Ships and Ironsworn" kit and just grab the bits you want.

    Anyway .. bit of a detour there. Your question has got me thinking about what a high fantasy kit might look like, and -- who knows -- it might leap to the front of the queue if I can make it work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shawn Tomkin I’m in the front of the line for a black powder ruleset - I skew more ‘straight’ historical but I’d gladly kitbash from what you’ve described.

    As regards science fiction, I’d say do them both - hard sci-fi and sword & planet - but Inrealize that puts a strain on resources. If I had to choose, I’d go hard sci-fi since it’s not often done (plus Modiphius is Kickstarting a light 2d20 John Carter ruleset, which would occupy a similar niche (although you’ve cornered the GM-less and solo play). And, while you’re on the sci-fi theme, dude, I would love to see a near-future Blade Runner implementation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shawn Tomkin​ i thougth more creating asset from the class Warfare move
    Move should be as they are (momentum,... Etc )
    We coule take move list and transform them on a asset list
    Found a pdf:
    https://img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1397/18/1397180818988.pdf
    Take for exemple crusader page 10 ,we could adapt start move and advanced move to a path asset with basic move active

    ReplyDelete
  6. Most of the (tiny) hacks I did, was just building Assets from parts of others and renaming things. For high fantasy spell casting, I had an assets that let me use Spirit or Supply as my resource.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hard Sci-fi hack? How about an interactive 3D model of our solar system!

    (Please let me know if there is a better/less ads website)

    The sites also gives a lot of info on comets, asteroids, dwarf planets, planets, moons, and probes.
    theskylive.com - 3D Solar System Simulator

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sci-fi RPGs have been increasingly popular lately, and I for one cannot wait to see what you're able to show us with a reskin of Ironsworn! Kevin Crawford just did an excellent Kickstarter for his Stars Without Numbers - Revised Edition which he mentioned had far better backer numbers than he thought he'd get. This one's a hard-core, hard sci-fi type of game system, extremely detailed.

    The other big one I'm excited about is Diogo Nogueira's Solar Blades & Cosmic Spells, a reworking of his popular Sharp Swords & Sinister Spells RPG. If it's anything like its older sibling, SB&CS will be fast and loose, ready for a quick romp through space.

    If you're interested in getting some ideas for your reskin, you can pick up a free edition of SWN:RE from DriveThru RPG, and Diogo's been posting frequently about the thought process behind his new game's design on his site: oldskulling.blogspot.com - Old Skulling

    ReplyDelete
  9. SWN is a phenomenal system, it's worth keeping around for its random content generation alone.

    I don't see sci-fi Ironsworn getting the same level of grittiness in space (though that could be my preference for science fantasy over hard sci-fi talking)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment