Unexpected allies, dangerous terrain, and determined adversaries are Perils of Travel for Branwhyn and Corinna as...

Unexpected allies, dangerous terrain, and determined adversaries are Perils of Travel for Branwhyn and Corinna as they make the last leg of the journey back to Crow's Perch.


A question for Shawn Tomkin: On the Bind [Rite], does it exhaust with the first ‘10’ you roll on the Chaellenge dice regardless of check or is it the first ‘10’ when using the relevant stat? I.E. I’ve enhanced Iron, but am rolling a Shadow and get a ‘10’. Does the Rite exhaust then or when I roll a ‘10’ using Iron?


Thank you to everyone for reading, I hope these stories are an enjoyment. All art is, of course, the copyright of their owners. Comments, criticisms, suggestions, and charges of heresy are encouraged and welcome.


https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ARBSVRO0QwFE0-x9gzrQ8QUrCzvrn8gR

Comments

  1. Hey, this is great stuff. I love the interwoven narrative and crunch, and particularly enjoy the color commentary. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan B, Thank you for the kind words. I aim to please. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Jeremiah Wenneker. The power is exhausted only if you roll a 10 with the aided stat. Other rolls don't impact it.

    Looking forward to reading the latest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shawn Tomkin Awesome on both accounts and thank you as always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeremiah Wenneker Well good sir, you've done it again! Wish it hadn't taken me so long to catch up on it, but I hope it has at least allowed you to play another session, which I am hoping you are feverishly editing? j/k I know all to well it takes a lot to write it all out, and the effort is very much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  6. John Risus the next one is actually done, though not edited yet. It was painful and short. . .

    Edit: Which I now realize sounds ominous. No PC death yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jeremiah Wenneker OMG! Yeah a bit! The only thing that came up was the part before the "Edit:" on my feed and I was thinking, "No! No. No. No." I can laugh about it now, but let's not ruminate on what became, and is now referred to as, "The January Scare of 2018"...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, Jeremiah Wenneker. Just diving into your latest and realized I didn't comment on this one yet. Catching up...

    First of all, really enjoyed the encounter with the bear and how that led into your new asset. Super evocative. Nice work!

    Overall, you packed a ton into this session and it was a great read.

    A point about the Endure Harm and Test your Spirit moves .... You should actually be making the rolls on these moves even if your health/spirit track is above 0. As you can see from the choices, you have the potential to gain a point of health back or a bit of momentum on a strong hit. In combat, you also have the chance to retake initiative if you bounce back from Endure Harm or Test your Spirit with a strong hit, which can be really helpful.

    The formatting for this in previous drafts was a bit wonky, and I've cleaned that up to try to make it a bit more intuitive, but obviously I should think about changing the order of the text to make it more clear.

    There's an argument that maybe I shouldn't ask for the roll on the move until your health or spirit hits 0, but I find the strong hit to be nice choice, and the synergy with initiative in a fight is rewarding.

    If I am misunderstanding your text and you've been making this roll by default, my apologies (actually my apologies either way for making things confusing!).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shawn Tomkin, first off let me say thank you again. I truly appreciate the feedback and the encouragement greatly. In some ways, the travel narratives that I've done have been the most fun. The unexpected things seem to happen along the way. Maybe that is my love of Tolkien coming out, who knows.

    The Elder Bear is one of my favorite encounters too. I was afraid it might come off as campy or cheesy, so I'm very glad it came off well to the reader.

    On to the mechanics:
    It took me a minute to go back and look at what you were referencing. I normally do make the Endure Harm/Test Spirit rolls, though I'm certain that I've forgotten them at times.

    In my 'green text' rules commentary about the fall from the cliff though, I think I see what you were looking at. I didn't know what happened when you took damage past 0. I needed to look up how debilities happened and when/if I needed to be rolling on the Endure Harm percentage table. (Face Death table?). The break point in the writing makes it look like I'm talking about taking damage in general.

    However, for all of that (and the wall of text that I'm making) I didn't know you could retake the initiative in combat from an Endure/Test move. I've looked at the Moves Handout and the Core Book, I don't see it. Where am I not looking? Or is it implied with the Momentum gain? If it is the later, it might be helpful if it was made more explicit like with the Strong Hit from a Clash.

    In any case, the retaking the initiative is a super useful bit of info and I know that I haven't been taking advantage of that. Thank you for the insight! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeremiah Wenneker If the retaking of initiative is there, I hadn't noticed. Now I have to go back and look if I ever get any free time again in my life. :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, Jeremiah Wenneker. Yeah, I suspected I might have been misinterperting. Just mostly wanted to see if it was still an issue for playtesters since it's been a problem in the past.

    And, yep, you can take back initiative with a strong hit on a suffer move! This is a change from a few weeks ago (?) based on some discussions here in the G+ group (part of the overall changes to combat moves).

    Here's the relevant text in the book:

    Page 54
    The ability to take initiative on a strong hit applies even to suffer moves, (page 87). For example, if you score a miss when you Clash and suffer -health, you can still take back initiative with a strong hit on Endure Harm. This is your character shrugging off the hit and roaring back into the fight.

    Page 87
    If you make a suffer move and score a strong hit, you may take or retain initiative—even if you scored a weak hit or miss on the preceding move. This opportunity, however, does not overrule the fiction of the moment. If you are out of action and Face Death, you aren’t likely to come springing back into the fight. If you do score a strong hit on a suffer move, consider what happens next and the moves you may make in the context of the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shawn Tomkin Awesome. I see it now. And you're right, a strong hit on a suffer leading to a bounce back in combat is narratively very epic. I'll have to watch for that in the future.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment