I am just reposting this as I think it got lost at the end of my other thread.

I am just reposting this as I think it got lost at the end of my other thread.
I would still like some expert guidance on how to handle core clues. We have gamed Gumshoe, and infact one of our games is Confidential 121. But in solo or coop is it ok to just give the clue without a roll?
But I still like the twist of the miss on gather information, so I still learn of the saboutage, but it is hot and coal dust is in the air, with my lantern, causing a further dust explosion (if I have my chemistry correct)

My take is to gumshoe it, but being new to solo and coop play, was wondering what others do and if some guidance could be included in the book.

Comments

  1. Hi Allan Prewett. I haven't read Gumshoe, though I've heard good things. I believe it's a game focused mostly on investigation, right? And I believe it helps overcome that problem with traditional investigative roleplay scenarios where the characters get stuck in the scenario because they haven't uncovered clue A in order to progress to clue B.

    Can you provide a bit more specific example of a particular situation you are looking at? Particularly for GM-less play, Gather Information is a way to move things forward. You either get something specific and helpful, some information that complicates things, or something that undermines your expectations. Like gumshoe (I suspect), you never get "you don't find anything".

    Let's say I am conducting an investigation and -- wearing my GM hat -- I have a clue in mind. I roll for Gather Information, and miss. I could still certainly uncover that particular clue, but I'd combine it with some new dire threat or give that clue a bit of a twist that changes everything.

    If you feel that identifying some particular clue is a mundane and certain exercise and not worthy of a move, then you don't need to make one. If there's risk or uncertainty involved, make the move and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes GS rates a clue Core and so long as the character has the relevant skill to interpret the clue it is given out. The premise is that then it becomes tricky, as the players will each have there own take on the clue, as they piece them together.
    So my little solo game, had a mine explosion that that due to some rolls I decided was saboutage. As I explored the mine I obviously wanted that fact to come to my player. I did roll Gather Information, but at the same time was also unsure in gmless gaming how to give out such a core clue. I liked the roll of a miss as I found a thread in the form of a further possible explosion, but also decided to give out the saboutage info, even though it was a miss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, that's totally OK. If it moves the story along, do it! On a miss, you'd just want to add a dire threat (another pending explosion seems like it fits the bill) or some aspect of the clue that severely complicates things. The Gather Information move is not about whether you find a clue, but the nature of what you find.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment