Very crude, but a random stat array generator.

Very crude, but a random stat array generator.
I'm new to spreadsheets, so I'm not sure how to automate it nicely without refreshing.

I did figure out that if you click on A2, as if to edit, go to the formula box and hit the spacebar at least once (each time), then click the checkmark, it will refresh. (Google Sheets on Android)

Again, essentially I'm a complete newb to this, but I'm trying!


https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wYcyDqmd5M_-lqOqAWgaLE6Br4rRUdBqgHuBqTb8ZwE/edit?usp=drivesdk

Comments

  1. As a professional spreadsheetist, that's not a bad way to do that. INDEX(MATCH) might be simpler, programmatically, but you're getting the desired outcome either way so it's really "6 of one, half-dozen of the other" especially on a dataset this small. As for refreshing, RAND formulas generate a new result after any change to the entire document, so I like to add a cell in cases like this that's labeled "change this cell to reroll."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I'm kind of intrigued by the challenge of getting a random stat spread and having to design a character who fits it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josh McGraw Thank you for the advice!
    I did pick up a couple of Office manuals (not current) that I can reference, but Google search was my teacher for this.

    I suppose that my experience with older game systems spurred me to randomize stat generation.

    I might play around with making a nicer PDF of the table for just rolling a d30, my current try is just copy/paste-> Docs-> save as PDF, but is lacking in some respects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ronald v Google is the better teacher. Personally, I spreadsheet so much that my name is synonymous with "solving a problem via Excel" at work, and I've never taken a formal class at all, just learned everything one brick at a time as I needed it. You can also check out the Excel guides at gcflearnfree.org - Free Online Learning at GCFLearnFree for some quick intro-level familiarization stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enabled edit so (I think) anyone can refresh it to get a new array viewing from here.

    Also, just in case anyone might be interested- (edit: old-school random stat-gen using dice)-

    docs.google.com - Untitled document

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment