Hi Shawn Tomkin, I have been playing on in my solo campaign and will post when I get a chance.
Hi Shawn Tomkin, I have been playing on in my solo campaign and will post when I get a chance. One thought I had was around the low magic setting of the Ironlands. I am a massive Lord of the Rings fan so the low magic, dangerous journey setting of the Ironlands appeals but as I play through it I was thinking of adding magic items, artifacts, etc. for added flavor. In LOTR, magic is a rare and wondrous thing and even Gandalf uses it sparingly. However, there are lots of "magic" swords, armor, rings, orbs, etc.. Basically the magic items add a lot of magic flavor to an otherwise very real world medieval setting. Just wondering if you have any thoughts on how to do magic items Ironsworn style.
My gut says a custom asset, in the same way that you would use a compendium class for dungeon world. There's at least one such possibly magic item in the assets currently (the monster-slaying sword made out of blood iron)
ReplyDeleteYou could also use the ritual asset as a template for a magical item that produces a magic-like effect
Yep, broadly, assets are the answer. A couple of the existing rituals can be re-skinned to represent objects. Scry, for example, can emulate a looking glass. There are more coming in the supporter asset pack that would be a good fit as magical items. The first ability for Shadow Walk, for example, might remind you of something from Lord of the Rings:
ReplyDelete-----------
When you obscure yourself within the gossamer veil of the shadow realms, roll +shadow. On a strong hit, you may reroll any dice (one time only) when you Face Danger, Secure an Advantage or Gather Information by hiding, sneaking, or observing from concealment. On a weak hit, as above, but suffer - 1 spirit.
-------------
Let's take a crack at making an asset for sting! (please forgive any errors in my lore).
-----------
STING
When you Enter the Fray against an ambush by orcs or goblins, reroll any dice.
When you Compel by holding evil creatures at bay with the threat of sting's bite, or when you Face Danger by using the blade's sharpness, add +1.
When you inflict harm against spiders, inflict +2 harm.
-----------
For an item such as the ring or a palantir, I would make sure that moves are required to use it, so that you have an opportunity to show the cost of that item on a weak hit or miss.
For weapons, the thing to avoid is just giving it a flat general bonus (such as +1 harm or +1 on a Strike or Clash). Any benefits should apply in specific circumstances, such as with Sting above. Ideally, there are also some fictional hooks woven in there.
(Following)
ReplyDeleteHi Shawn Tomkin Justin Gordon, great advice. Going to try it out and will let you know how I get on. Thanks, Mark.
ReplyDelete