A travel narrative subverted, Branwhyn begins his journey back to Crow's Perch and is promptly diverted by a side...
A travel narrative subverted, Branwhyn begins his journey back to Crow's Perch and is promptly diverted by a side quest.
I'm going to try and close the gap between written and edited, so I'll probably post a couple more updates this week. If everything else goes well today, I might even have time to post a very light reskin one off of Ironsworn that was inspired by Bernhard Lutz's Von Eisenhut’s Company.
All art is of course the copyright of their owners.
As always, thank you for reading. Comments, criticisms, suggestions, and charges of heresy are encouraged and welcome.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=11Fzw3gOnK4Y0yAlWLfPef2UyN1Kq_vgF
I'm going to try and close the gap between written and edited, so I'll probably post a couple more updates this week. If everything else goes well today, I might even have time to post a very light reskin one off of Ironsworn that was inspired by Bernhard Lutz's Von Eisenhut’s Company.
All art is of course the copyright of their owners.
As always, thank you for reading. Comments, criticisms, suggestions, and charges of heresy are encouraged and welcome.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=11Fzw3gOnK4Y0yAlWLfPef2UyN1Kq_vgF
Awesome, Jeremiah Wenneker. Looking forward to digging in.
ReplyDeleteA quick note on your introductory comment. I would take the travel distance guidelines as suggestions or a place to start, rather than anything hard-and-fast. Let the fiction be your guide for the context of your journey, the terrain difficulty, the wildness of the area, whether you have traveled this route before, etc. Then, feel free to adjust a journey rank based on your own preferences. If you want to just get it done, give it a lower rank. If you'd like the journey -- and the trouble you will run into -- to be a focus in your story, give it a higher rank.
In short, as the book says "Generally, don’t sweat it. Travel should move at the speed of your story."
Shawn Tomkin, total agree and I absolutely had that take away. We're on the same page in the regard of adapting the mechanics to the speed of the story. I don't mind the longer travel, I grew up with Tolkien and his long travel narratives. They also can lead to very interesting encounters. This entire side quest and the chapter that follows it were generated from one twist and a roll on the theme Oracle.
ReplyDeleteAs a note on intention though, one of my goals with the Branwhyn narrative though is to play pretty close to the mechanics and setting as conceived. I want a firm grasp of your vision before I start tinkering with things. Also, I just really like the core setting for Ironsworn and the inherent versatility and player ownership you built in. It's so good.
Thanks, Jeremiah. That makes my day.
ReplyDeleteJeremiah Wenneker , as always, a great read! Love the story and the use of the default setting. Shawn Tomkin, I am sure the excellent use of the default setting is enjoyable to see. I think that it is also a testament to a great set of rules that so many have successfully pulled off great APs in various genres and settings. I guess I say that in hopes that you are not put off by the use of Ironsworn in these other narratives. I never really play in a default setting, or not much, though. If I find something I like I immediately go to see just how much I can stretch it before breaking it, and have found Ironsworn to be practically Gumby! Rest assured though, if I get my wife to play, which I hope to do, I will be using the default setting!
ReplyDeleteHey, John Risus. Not at all. I am really excited to see people playing n their own worlds, and stretching Ironsworn beyond anything I might have envisioned (World War I naval combat -- what?!).
ReplyDeleteI debated not including any default setting info at all, but in the end it was enjoyable to sketch out and I think there's some value in depicting a loose baseline even for folks who intend to play in their own worlds.
I will admit, though, it's really enjoyable and gratifying to see the default setting in use and to see how folks like Jeremiah Wenneker interpreted the world-building prompts to make it their own.