Any thoughts/guidelines about when its appropriate to move all stats back up to full, as per the passage of time?

Comments

  1. Good question, Andrew Huffaker. My knee-jerk reaction is to say "not without a move". In one sense, Sojourn -- which is one of the main "restore your tracks" moves -- represents the passage of time. A Sojourn might take place over hours or days or weeks, depending on the narrative.

    Ironsworn is structured to encourage moves which involve more social roleplay and downtime scenes. Interacting with communities and returning to civilization helps anchor your character, build bonds, and establish new opportunities for new narrative situations, characters, and quests. So, I'm hesitant to undermine that by having a move that maxes your status tracks due to the passage of time outside of what exists currently.

    Also, there's the issue of assets, which often provide boosts to moves that add to your various tracks.

    That's rules-as-written, and I'm sure it won't break your game to adjust your tracks back to full if it seems appropriate to the circumstances (such as a long passage of time). I'd limit that to unusual situations where it seems narratively awkward to not "start fresh".

    Would love to get your input and hear from others though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shawn Tomkin I really appreciate that answer. I think it has been the practice of RPGs to want to codify the metric for rest, 'when you spend a week in an Inn, restore your health to max.' Etc. That can be problematic in many games because it forces players to care about minutia for the sake of getting the benefit.

    I don't feel like Ironsworn is that type of game. Also, it feels like the game really sings when my character is NOT at max. The drama happens when I'm at 2 health, have 0 supplies and my momentum just reset to 1.

    That being said, it feels like there is seldom reason to full reset, but when you were designing, did you ever try to implement something like a 'health potion' type item where players could pad their stats without the chance of danger?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not really anything as overt as a healing potion. The herbalist's Make Camp ability is about as close as it gets (cooking up a nice herbal concoction to give everyone a healing boost).

    Certainly if it suited your setting there's no harm (hah!) in having a one-use healing potion, perhaps gained as a reward for a quest. Drink it and max out your health track.

    What would be cooler, though, is to have to Face Danger with +Iron when you quaff that vile stuff. Who the heck knows what it's made out of!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can think of a good one time use fix for Spirit... Might even give you some Momentum back too. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. John Risus How Hrothgar Got His Grove Back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrew Huffaker Would it be a Face Danger or a Secure an Advantage move ;) Doah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't tell you!

    If you ask my wife, she'll tell I only roll 'misses' with the occasional 'weak hit' most the time hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who rolled on the twist Oracle? This thread took an unexpected turn. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment