Shawn Tomkin I’ve recently been working through a 2 PC scenario and have a couple of questions for you with respect...
Shawn Tomkin I’ve recently been working through a 2 PC scenario and have a couple of questions for you with respect to multi-player sessions:
1.) When traveling wit 2 or more PCs, do you just have one PC roll Undertake Journey (I assume this is the default)? Possibly have the 2nd player roll Aid Ally/Secure Advantage, if you want to have the second player provide assistance?
2.) Also, I assume on Journeys both players consume Supply as they are traveling, regardless of whether only one player is rolling for the Undertaking?
3.) Once travel has ended, either/both can roll for things like Make Camp and/or Resupply, correct?
Dom’t know why that sort of threw me as I was working through the playtest - perhaps I’ve been so focused on solitaire play that breaking up the limelight sort of caught me off-guard. The scenario is simple enough - am converting a The One Ring scenario, having two Dwarves set-out on a search for lost companions. Chaos ensues.
I couldn’t see a case for both making Undertake rolls but perhaps that is the way to proceed. Apologies if this covered somewhere in the rules, I just sort of jumped right in game.
1.) When traveling wit 2 or more PCs, do you just have one PC roll Undertake Journey (I assume this is the default)? Possibly have the 2nd player roll Aid Ally/Secure Advantage, if you want to have the second player provide assistance?
2.) Also, I assume on Journeys both players consume Supply as they are traveling, regardless of whether only one player is rolling for the Undertaking?
3.) Once travel has ended, either/both can roll for things like Make Camp and/or Resupply, correct?
Dom’t know why that sort of threw me as I was working through the playtest - perhaps I’ve been so focused on solitaire play that breaking up the limelight sort of caught me off-guard. The scenario is simple enough - am converting a The One Ring scenario, having two Dwarves set-out on a search for lost companions. Chaos ensues.
I couldn’t see a case for both making Undertake rolls but perhaps that is the way to proceed. Apologies if this covered somewhere in the rules, I just sort of jumped right in game.
Hi, Bjorsa Brimrsson. Thanks for the questions!
ReplyDelete1) Have a look at page 63, "Allies and Journeys". Here is what it says:
"If you are traveling with allies, only one of you will make the Undertake a Journey roll for each segment, and you will share a progress track. The responsibility for leading the journey can switch from segment to segment as you like.
Your fellow travelers can assist by making the Aid Your Ally move. Perhaps they are scouting ahead or sustaining you with a lively song. They can also Resupply to represent foraging or hunting for supplies en route.
Everyone should offer narrative color for what you do and see on your journey, even if you are not making moves."
2) Note that the supply track represents the shared assets among your party (see Supply page 33). You and your allies will use the same supply value while you travel together. If you make any moves to increase supply or suffer the result of a move that reduces your supply, each of you will adjust your supply tracker accordingly. When you Undertake a Journey, and you need to suffer -1 supply to your shared supply value, each of you marks the change on your respective tracks. You do not suffer a cumulative -1 per character.
3) Yes, you can intersperse Make Camp, Resupply or other moves as you like (See "Managing Supplies") on page 64.
"You can intersperse Resupply or Make Camp moves during your journey to manage your health, spirit and supply, or to create new scenes as diversions. Don’t be concerned with using the Make Camp move as an automatic capstone to a day of travel. You can be assumed to rest and camp as appropriate without making the move, and you can roleplay out those scenes or gloss over them as you like. When you want the mechanical benefit of the Make Camp move, or you’re interested in playing the move out through the fiction, then do it."
You can even chose to include moves within the narrative of an in-progress journey. For example, one of you might decide they are going to keep their eye out for game during the day's travel (Resupply), while the other makes the Undertake a Journey roll.
Does that help? Pages 62-65 provides a lot of info on that particular move since those sorts of questions came up a fair bit during initial playtesting.
Shawn Tomkin damn, there it is - was all right there! Appreciate the prompt response (and, apologize again for not reading more in-depth).
ReplyDeleteGlad to know I was mostly on the right track, though. Was marking the Supply and, once the guide PC started struggling through some Undertake rolls, started adding in Aid Ally. I did allow for some differentiation in Pay the Price, having one choose -1 Health and the other -1 Spirit to represent the roles they were taking in travel.
Wish I had more insightful comments to provide for feedback as opposed to some of these pedestrian, easily resolved issues. Thanks for your patience.
Not at all Bjorsa Brimrsson. It helps reinforce what I need to make sure I emphasize or clarify.
ReplyDelete