Arriving at Mournful Cairne with an oddly warm welcome, Branwhyn receives an unpleasant surprise and also encounters...

Arriving at Mournful Cairne with an oddly warm welcome, Branwhyn receives an unpleasant surprise and also encounters the Crone of the Swamp.


I have a few more questions for Shawn Tomkin that came up in the play through.

1) When fighting multiple Progress tracks, do you End the Fight against each separately as the fiction and rolls allow? That seems like the intuitive answer, but I wasn't certain and couldn't find an answer in the rule book.

2) On the Veteran asset, it reads "When you Forage by looting the dead . . ." should Forage be replaced with Resupply?
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Qmnmq9yiG0hQnFUfLcGdbsd3DjxHHZs_

Comments

  1. Haven't been able to finish reading it, but... dahm. That was quite a brew-ha-ha!! Unfortunately I'll have to wait to see how the session continues. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. John Risus Yep, between the Oracles from the matches and the bad rolls it kept going down hill. Still, I consider it very impressive that Branwhyn was able to anger an entire Ironhold. :-D Thank you for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeremiah Wenneker aren't the down hill slides the best though!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just finished!!! Doah! I don't know if I would have done that at the end though. You might regret it ;) LOL. Great AP though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Jeremiah Wenneker. Really looking forward to reading the latest! To your questions...

    1) Yep! I'll make a note to find a way to clarify that.

    2) Yep, should be Resupply. I believe I corrected that a version or two ago, so the latest PDF should have it as such.

    drive.google.com - Ironsworn-Preview-Assets.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  6. John Risus Downhill slides are the best, once you know you've survived them. ;-)
    I'm also a fan of recurring villains, so we will definitely see Thane Wulnar again at some point. We have an appointment with a Crone first though.

    Shawn Tomkin Thank you for the clarification and you are correct, it looks like I was working with old assets. I'll update my copy. I've said it before, but you make a great game.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool play report, Jeremiah Wenneker. Really enjoyed it. You do a great job with combat scenes, weaving in narrative while still making tactical, gamey decisions. It's how I envisioned things when writing the rules, so it's really gratifying to see it play out that way.

    One minor note: The "Twist" oracle has mostly negative connotations, because I intended it for dramatic turning points. For positive matches or less dramatic moments, I would consider rolling on the action and/or theme oracles and interpreting the result. The twist oracle can generate some fun results, but it's pretty chaotic and focused on making things worse, so perhaps better used for big moments.

    I've noticed other folks doing the same thing (defaulting to the twist table on a match), so I might consider renaming the oracle to avoid the direct correlation to the discussion of twists as an outcome of matches. Any suggestions? Maybe just "Major Twist"? "Turning Point"?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shawn Tomkin Plot Twist, maybe? It feels a bit on the nose but is accurate. Though, I'm not certain that it is the name Twist that is causing them the default to Oracle 16, per say. In rulebook when it's talking about matches (pg. 10 & 11) twist is used a couple of times, including in the Strong Hit example. The word association leads us naturally down to Oracle 16.

    I know formatting and word count always creates problems but perhaps adding a short sentence? Something like:

    If you’re unsure, you Ask the Oracle, which is a special move that lets you ask questions or check for inspiration.

    --> Any Oracle can be of use here, though Action and Theme Oracles offer open and evocative possibilities. If you want a major or chaotic possibility, you might dare to roll on the Twists Oracle! <--

    If you’re playing with a GM, a match on the challenge dice can be her prompt to throw a wrench in the works.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep, Jeremiah Wenneker, it's the connection to the word "twist" that I was referring to. I think folks are (rightly) inferring that the mention of a twist in the summary for matches means the "twist" table is the one to roll on if you want an oracle to help out with how to resolve it. Problem is, I intended that particular oracle for more dramatic moments, so I'll probably tweak the name and perhaps introduce a bit of direction as you suggest (the Oracles chapter was but a glimmer in my eye when I wrote chapter 1). I do have a bit of this in the descriptions of the tables themselves, but I can try to be less obtuse about it.

    Thanks for the help!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shawn Tomkin you are most welcome! Honestly I'm geeking out about being part (even a minor one) of the creative process. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maybe tie the Oracle used to the roll result?

    Strong Hit -> Action + Theme -> PC positive

    Weak Hit -> Action + Theme -> PC negative (or unknown pos/neg?)
    (EDIT: Complication! EDIT#2: If I have the numbers right, you cannot have a weak hit with matching Challenge Dice.)

    Miss -> Twist

    I was also thinking maybe compare the match to current Momentum to determine if Action+Theme or Twist is used.
    Not sure how to tie that together as I don't have any real APs completed yet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment