Ok, here is my first play report.
Ok, here is my first play report. Beginning of Moriens quest to journey through the Ironlands to become a Mystic / Ritualist. All art is copyright of their owners. Turns out soloing is more fun for me when I can visualise the game. I am sure I am making mistakes but so far I am loving Ironsworn.
The link to the doc should open in any browser or may open in Evernote if you have that installed as it is an Evernote shared doc. Let me know if you have any problems.
https://www.evernote.com/shard/s13/sh/f7bf8407-db84-49eb-b93d-7fa999864592/27f3271e8a762be98b70f665c15960fc
The link to the doc should open in any browser or may open in Evernote if you have that installed as it is an Evernote shared doc. Let me know if you have any problems.
https://www.evernote.com/shard/s13/sh/f7bf8407-db84-49eb-b93d-7fa999864592/27f3271e8a762be98b70f665c15960fc
I LOVE what you're doing with the art. The way you're using Evernote is really cool, too; I favor Trello for my work, and now you're making me wonder about playing directly inside a board there.
ReplyDeleteJust noting things as I read through it... Love the visuals by the way. I need to do more of it myself.
ReplyDelete"
Quest rank 2 dangerous
Roll 1 +2 Heart +1 bond = 4
Action 4 3
Weak hit and a match"
Pretty sure Shawn Tomkin knows for sure, but I gathered a match is a match of the d10 Challenge Dice, not a Challenge Die and the Action Die.
Really enjoyed the adventure thus far! Does it take a long time finding the images? Or, do you do the story then fill in the images? I think I'd lose momentum if I searched for images while I played...
Confirmed that a Match is of the two challenge dice, not the action die.
ReplyDeleteJohn Risus Thanks for correcting my understanding around matches! I think Morien has had a harder start than was his due 😀 This is the great thing about sharing play reports as I will fix it going forward.
ReplyDeleteWith the visuals I tend to play a few steps and then at whatever feels like a natural break in the flow I review the text and then add the pictures. I have tried various ways of solo logging such as very detailed (all dialogue, etc.) and the opposite extreme of just noting bullet points and I found the shorter way better (basically what I posted minus the pictures). This works well for me in actual play but I found myself quite disassociated from the story afterwards.
In the moment it was exciting because I played out the scene in my head but after it was just a blob of text. So I started adding in a few pictures. I didn't worry too much about getting the perfect picture I just used Google image search and Pixlr (a simple android image editor) to get a good enough picture. I found that adding the pictures is actually very enjoyable. I relive the action and then it's very satisfying when I add the picture. One unexpected added benefit has been that I actually get enjoyment from rereading the record. It almost feels like reading a graphic novel. This in turn makes me excited to continue the adventure. The visuals also seem to make me care much more about the characters.
Not sure if it would work for everyone but I think I have found my soloing mojo 👍😀
Mark Brady, not a problem. Hope I didn't come of as a know it all, because I don't. Just trying to help out around here, but sometimes I can come off as... obtuse.
ReplyDeleteThanks for explaining your process. As a new solo roleplayer myself, it really helps. I'm still looking for my solo mojo. As can be seen from my own APs where I have gone from a blog, to a wiki, and experimented with multiple formats within each.
Having mentioned the experience of rereading your APs after you add the images, I have notice that I used to reread my own, and now I don't even proof read them :(
I think, maybe, that is why I may be losing some of the appeal lately. The few day break from playing, as I moved a kiddo off to college, hasn't helped much with my immersion either.
That's the word, "immersion", I was having much more immersion when I reread it, since I was being taken out of it when I did the writing of the APs! I think you may have just put me back on track. Thanks!
John Risus No worries, you came across as very helpful. I have found this community and the lone wolf game community super friendly and constructive so I always read comments in that light 👍
ReplyDeleteVery interesting to hear your experiences as well. Immersion is a great word for what I was trying to describe. I completely understand the challenges around getting time to play. I mostly play on my mobile phone in stolen moments which is why Ironsworn is such a great system for me.
Hope you get some quality game time now!😀
Mark Brady I want to add to what everyone else is saying, your use of are is great. The varied use of art assets reminds me of Russian Montague Cinematography from the 1920s. Very cool. John Risus already had me thinking about using some art in my narratives. Time to up my game! :-D
ReplyDelete