The more I think about the combat progression system in this game verses a typical HP enemy system, the more I see...
The more I think about the combat progression system in this game verses a typical HP enemy system, the more I see its value/genius for solitaire gaming.
If I knew the monster I was fighting only started with 5 HP it kind of takes the excitement out of a scene, but in Ironsworn the abstraction of combat keeps even weaker fights still exciting.
If I knew the monster I was fighting only started with 5 HP it kind of takes the excitement out of a scene, but in Ironsworn the abstraction of combat keeps even weaker fights still exciting.
I concur! Two back to back "Troublesome" combats in my AP has my character ... well just about wrecked! I love it!
ReplyDeleteYeah. Unlike with most games where a lone goblin is laughable. I'm often like, 'man, I'm low on momentum AND supplies. I'm really not wanting to deal with this shit right now.' I might be at full health, but everything dwindles and all the dials turn in Ironsworn.
ReplyDeleteThe combat progress track is essentially just an obfuscated set of hit points, but I agree that the abstraction creates a different feel. Also, to me, there is something more rewarding about ticking progress as opposed to subtracting hit points.
ReplyDeleteAnd, yeah, even troublesome foes can be a real problem :)
Yeah even fighting a swamp rat feels like a proper fight :-)
ReplyDelete