Hey guys, Lucas here.
Hey guys, Lucas here.
I've been interested in running a solo campaign for myself, but I'm having trouble understanding what to do in most situations. For example, when my wife and I tried to play today, we were walking along one of the barrier islands coastline to (hopefully) find a settlement, so I said we needed to undertake a journey, but at the same time, how do I journey somewhere that may not even be there? I don't know if we'll find a settlement or not.
Also, if you guys could help me with condensing the rulebook down, like a pdf of just the Oracle table and the like, that would help me so much.
Thanks in advance, Lucas.
I've been interested in running a solo campaign for myself, but I'm having trouble understanding what to do in most situations. For example, when my wife and I tried to play today, we were walking along one of the barrier islands coastline to (hopefully) find a settlement, so I said we needed to undertake a journey, but at the same time, how do I journey somewhere that may not even be there? I don't know if we'll find a settlement or not.
Also, if you guys could help me with condensing the rulebook down, like a pdf of just the Oracle table and the like, that would help me so much.
Thanks in advance, Lucas.
Not sure I can do much about the first part (its something that comes with practice) but there is a condensed version of the important rules in the Moves Handout you can get from Ironswornrpg.com or in the package from DTRPG.
ReplyDeleteironswornrpg.com - Ironsworn - Tabletop RPG
Ask the Oracles. "Is there a settlement ahead?" If "no": what we'll find there? Opportunity? Enemies? A ruined town?
ReplyDeleteAlso "is the coastline safe?" if yes, roll no journey. If no, then "how long/difficult the journey will be?" this can give you the journey "length" in successes.
Of course, you can answer by yourself to some of those questions, still if you like the surprises (as I do when I play Solo), roll with the Oracles.
If i was exploring an area I'd use Gather Information. I'd look to my vows to figure out what I should be doing next.
ReplyDeleteAndrea Parducci Thanks. That helps a lot.
ReplyDeleteHi, Lucas Sapp. Thanks for giving Ironsworn a try!
ReplyDeleteOthers have given good advice. Generally, when you Undertake a Journey you are following the next logical step in your quest, so you have a destination in mind.
It's fine to take an "authorial stance" and decide you will find a settlement, even if your characters don't know what's out there.The main thing to keep in mind is that you are always trying to move towards interesting story. Finding a settlement creates possibility for story. What's this place like? How do they manage to survive if they are so isolated? What trouble are they facing? What do they want from you, or what do you need from them?
On the other hand, if your characters are lost and alone, how do you get back on track? Undertake a Journey is a point A, point B move (mostly), so you might just need to make another move such as Face Danger to get your bearings and find help. Or, as others have noted, you can just Ask the Oracle: "Is there a settlement along this coast?" If not, you envision your characters finding nothing and decide what you must do next.
Feel free to share more about your quest or what your characters are doing, and I'll see if I can get more specific. Also, if you are learning the game, you can have a look in the Play Reports section here in the community, at the extended play example video from Justin Gordon, and at the examples in Chapter 7 of the book.
There are several oracle tables in the game and indeed it may be handy to have them as a separate file. You can just print the pdf "to file", generating a pdf file with all the oracles (or only those you expect to consult more often). I did this when I began playing IS and I found it did help speeding things up for me.
ReplyDeleteCommunity member Justin Gordon whipped up the oracles at Chartopia, and it's totally clutch. Check it out here: chartopia.d12dev.com - Ironsworn Oracles - Chartopia
ReplyDelete