Hi all!
Hi all!
I just found out about this game a couple of days ago and it seems to be truly amazing! It might actually be that I've found my Holy grail when it comes to solo tapletop games - thanks for that Shawn! :)
Now to my question; have anyone of you tried using the Inkarnate map creator for Ironsworn? It seems to be the perfect tool for digitaly recording your journey on a map, as you can update and edit it as you go along on your adventure and new information is unraveled. I'm thinking about creating an Ironlands template sometime in the future, but wouldn't mind skipping the hassle if there's already a template out there...
I just found out about this game a couple of days ago and it seems to be truly amazing! It might actually be that I've found my Holy grail when it comes to solo tapletop games - thanks for that Shawn! :)
Now to my question; have anyone of you tried using the Inkarnate map creator for Ironsworn? It seems to be the perfect tool for digitaly recording your journey on a map, as you can update and edit it as you go along on your adventure and new information is unraveled. I'm thinking about creating an Ironlands template sometime in the future, but wouldn't mind skipping the hassle if there's already a template out there...
Welcome to the group, and thanks for giving Ironsworn a look!
ReplyDeleteHaven't heard of Inkarnate but it looks really cool. If you wanted to set up a template, let me know if there's something I can provide that would help. For example, I could upload a high resolution version of the textured Ironlands map. Oh, but then I'd want to colorize it. Now you've done it.
Shawn Tomkin 😁
ReplyDeleteI imported the downloadable Ironlands map in Inkarnate and it seems to be of perfect resolution. I'll use it for determening borders between the regions as well as defining the coastline. It's my first shot at using Inkarnate but I think I'll be able to deliver a template that others can use. I just have to fiddle around abit first to get a grip of the UI and how to scale things.
That's awesome. Let us know how it goes.
ReplyDeleteMagnus Natt och Dag Inkarnate's a great tool, but the free-use license has some limitations; notable, the resolution of the output is very low. There's now a way to get better resolution, though: if you join the beta Pro program (I think it cost me $25/year, I just upgraded a month ago) you get double the resolution, as well as a ton more assets to play with (including cliffs, which allows you to create some really cool coastal effects). Between Inkarnate and HexMapper, I'm set for mapping!
ReplyDeleteDan Davis Yes, I upgraded to pro to get the higher resolution. I think it's still a bit low for creating maps at this large scale, especially when you want a high level of detail. Things get kind of blurry when you zoom in alot.
ReplyDeleteOh and do you know if there's some setting for saving different versions of the same map (like a "save as" button)? That would be really handy when you want to start with the same template but then let it evolve to a unique map with each playthrough. Or if you want to share a template with others. The only way to do this, that I've found so far, is exporting to .jpg and then importing the .jpg, which seems to be far from ideal as the template then is put as a single bottom layer that you won't be able to easily remove certain terrain features or such from.
Hm, I might have to contact the Inkarnate developer with some ideas. 🤔
Shawn Tomkin Dan Davis I'm done with sculpting the continent. When it comes to templates I'm actually considering 3 versions:
ReplyDeleteOne blank on parchment (as in the picture) with just the region borders marked and one similar to the first one but with the regions namned aswell. These ones are for you out there who wants your character to be able to update the map with all the terrain features as he/she goes along on his/her adventure and discovers the world.
The third one will contain terrain info/biomes that I've interpreted from the topographic map and the region descriptions in the rule book.
Any ideas or suggestions?_https://plus.google.com/photos/..._
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/DA-Epmy7JlmKAP0nDXW5JItYWSj9Z4YaNmg1jNxS6u_rQGg0X_Bmg634NODrNydXwGpRXhVSpbumE5qFV1RAB5SPetHrtHhnEQ=s0
ReplyDeleteThat looks great, Magnus Natt och Dag. I would be selfishly super-excited to see the version with biome/terrain features.
ReplyDeleteAs you can see, Shawn Tomkin , I had to extend the Shattered wastes some to the north and east. The two first templates are already done, but the third one will probably take some time (small kids taking up most of my spare time). But I'm kind of eager to finish it too as that'll be the template I'm going to use. I'll upload all three of them once I'm done.
ReplyDeleteAwesome, Magnus Natt och Dag. Looking forward to it. While you are working on the maps, you can play "Guess the coastline". They are cobbled together from real-world locations.
ReplyDeleteShawn Tomkin Haha, nice!
ReplyDeleteYay 400+ members, congrats!
ReplyDeleteHave you considered the scale of the map +Shawn Tomkin?
Any thoughts on how many kilometers/miles one cm/inch equals?
Hey, Magnus Natt och Dag. I really haven't. If I were to eyeball things, I'd compare to some of the actual map bits I used. The Ragged Coast, using the coast of Norway as a model, would be around 1000mi / 1600km. That seems about right, I think, though I've no idea if it would hold up when applied to other areas of the map. I'd probably take that rough idea and plop it over a grid and see if it looks sensible.
ReplyDeleteWhen I originally conceived of the setting and the Undertake a Journey move, I had a unit of measurement called "Marches". It was a distance of about what a contingent of soldiers would travel in a day. I hadn't gone so far as to convert it to miles because it was treated pretty abstractly.
Ok great ,Shawn Tomkin! I'll see if I'll try to add a scale to the template.
ReplyDeleteHah, I thought that might be Norway! :)