Mechanical damage is boring, make your fights HURT!

Mechanical damage is boring, make your fights HURT!

Comments

  1. Great post as always, Justin. I actually have a somewhat extensive refit of Pay the Price in the next revision, which I think reflects your thinking.

    One point we differ on, a little, is that momentum is a reasonable mechanical complement for a narrative cost. Anything that impedes my progress or puts me in a bad situation can be interpreted as also forcing me to suffer -momentum.

    You are right, though. Narrative cost always has the sharpest teeth. That's the place to start.

    Here's a preview of the Pay the Price update. Hopefully it doesn't undermine your (very good) article. Let me know what you think.
    drive.google.com - Pay the Price - Updates.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shawn Tomkin I think we agree actually, definitely suffer -momentum when appropriate, but I just want to encourage the player to really think about what that means for their character, rather than just moving the track and rolling on. I read the draft for Pay the Price on the other post and I think our thoughts line up more or less perfectly (in fact it's what inspired the post)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet! Loving the blog posts. I'd insert a "you get me" meme here if I wasn't so lazy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment