What do you think of this asset?
What do you think of this asset? I'm playing as a fishing boat captain, and I wanted some mechanical reflection of their expertise with boats and the sea:
Sailor (Path Asset)
* When you Undertake a Journey by boat you are in your element. Add +1 and take +1 momentum on a hit
o When you Gather Information or Secure an Advantage using your knowledge of tides, weather, boats or coastlines add +1
o When you Make Camp moored or at anchor you may take an additional +1 on your chosen action on a weak hit, or on two of your three chosen actions on a strong hit.
Sailor (Path Asset)
* When you Undertake a Journey by boat you are in your element. Add +1 and take +1 momentum on a hit
o When you Gather Information or Secure an Advantage using your knowledge of tides, weather, boats or coastlines add +1
o When you Make Camp moored or at anchor you may take an additional +1 on your chosen action on a weak hit, or on two of your three chosen actions on a strong hit.
I like it!
ReplyDeleteI think the 2nd option should add +1 momentum on a hit for consistency.
The 3rd option seems a little unwieldy (affecting only 2/3 on a strong hit). I think I'd say "when you make camp at anchor, add +1 and choose one more on a hit"
That's just my .02 though, I think it's plenty thematic and interesting as it is!
Justin Gordon Thanks for the feedback, and I'm glad you like it.
ReplyDeleteI agree on both your points. I think I was going for mechanistic (rather than just situational) variety between the different options, which on reflection is probably unnecessary and makes them overly awkward
yoink for my own game.
ReplyDeleteI like it too, Bodhi Hunt. I'd go ahead and reward yourself with "+1 momentum on a hit" for that 2nd ability (in addition to the add +1) to give it a bit more value. You might even consider adding Face Danger to the mix on that ability, giving yourself the bonus when you're navigating dangerous waters, riding out storms, escaping from something/someone via boat, etc.
ReplyDeleteI like to sometimes give assets a more fluffy/narrative ability as well, but I can't think of anything at the moment. I'm sure there's something to be done with "When you sing a shanty at sea", though ;)
Shawn Tomkin "When you sing a shanty at sea, you do NOT summon leviathans because you are in key and know the proper songs."
ReplyDeleteShawn Tomkin Thanks for the input! I'm glad you like it. I don't think I'm going to add "face danger" to the second option personally, though I think it makes sense and would work well in the general case. For me on my solo campaign I think it might nudge me to spend more time than I want to in a boat, because it's so much safer there! I want my campaign to be partly a story about a sailor who's forced inland and out of their element to fulfil their vows. I don't want too much of a mechanical nudge to constantly be putting navigable rivers in everywhere just so I can stay on a boat.
ReplyDeleteThis asset just turned a miss into a weak hit on the first move in my first ever journey in the Ironlands, which is nice. On the other hand I'm already in the debt of the very ocean itself, which is probably going to exact some sort of terrible price on me at some point, but we can't have everything going my way :) (I swore an Iron Vow to the sea to pay whatever price it asked of me if it would save my boat and crew from a storm... I'm now on my way to find a salt-witch to find out what that price is).
ReplyDelete