I always liked the idea of an alchemist type of character.

I always liked the idea of an alchemist type of character. Someone that doesn't fight with your typical sword and bow, but with acids, bombs, fire and smoke. I was thinking how to implement him into the world. An idea is that they are the exact opposite of a Herbalist. While herbalists are well respected in the communities for their knowledge of this ancient art and the people are greatful for their healing services, Alchemists are treated with anger and disrespect. People see them as someone that uses the plants and herbs with an unorthodox and corrupted way, to create toxic and destructive substances. I created an asset to go with this theme. I'd love to hear your opinion and feedback.
Alchemists aren't so "standard" in a northern Viking-like setting, however of course they are a cool addition for almost every other fantasy game you could envision while playing with Ironsworn! 😎 If you want feedback, I'd add a space before the "(" symbols. Also, I'd remove the "too detailed" descriptions in the latter two Abilities (ie. "sticky gluey substances" and "that create smoke") : I think that players should describe how they use alchemy substances. For example, why i can't use fire, or acid, to gain an Advantage? Or, why I can't escape with a substance that boost my body and stamina for a while?
ReplyDeleteAndrea Parducci Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it. I chose detailed descriptions to prevent this asset for being an all-rounder. If you see in other assets, you must do something specific, or be in a specific situation to get the benefits. In my opinion, it would be too powerful if you could use those benefits in every situation, by giving the freedom to create every potion known in the fantasy world. I haven't playtested though, so I really don't know how powerful it is, or if it needs some tuning. I really am concered by the fact that you can get those benefits from something your player creates in the first place. My original thought was to have some limit like "You can have 4 potions/concoctions/substances on your person at any time." with a replenishing mechanic. I look forward for more ideas and feedback. Thanks again!
ReplyDeleteNo, I don't like the idea to add bookkeeping. You could push more on the idea of "wasting" supplies, on all the abilities, something like "you can also remove 1 supply to get +1 on the roll".
ReplyDeleteHey, Giorgos Ch. Alchemists are cool! I like the direction here. It's got a bit of a Witcher vibe. Let me give this some thought this weekend and see if I have any suggestions or options for you.
ReplyDeleteShawn Tomkin Hi! Thanks for checking this out! Truth is, the second rank gives me the most trouble, since it can be used anywhere. I was thinking about discarding it and replacing it with something else (a Gather Information maybe, when poisons and substances come into play). I also am at a dilemma, to keep it a Path asset or change it to a Martial Focus one.
ReplyDeleteI did some wanky changes today. Also made it less detailed, as Andrea Parducci recommended, so it wouldn't hamper each player's imagination. Thanks for the ideas! Once again, I would love your feedback.
ReplyDeletehttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/InuapkGNJHr1x-dwmfeSoLIXNL6qaboF-UHchKKYCqQqbqt1-OdVhGdLf4cwWceXC3t1aUt_Q0fvwRppU_4jb130qxZXZ3WdJ1c=s0
I have no enough time un these days to think about the balance of the Asset. My guts tell me that is underpowered. For example, the whole 1st ability is a game of chances, with no better chances for the positive effects. Why I should get that ability, with slim chances to do additional damage, and the same chances to suffer the same damage?
ReplyDelete(the second part could be useful, still very harmful: again, not a big bonus for the character)
Even for the second ability, i need +2 Supply at least, then I need to Resupply to gain fewer standard supply and 1 Rare supply, and this rare supply give me a single use of the 2nd ability... Mmmm...