I've possibly got a game coming up that's going to take place in a magitechnical Aztec society (all of the...

I've possibly got a game coming up that's going to take place in a magitechnical Aztec society (all of the sacrifices and bloodshed power an almost futuristic society, but all of the tech is magic). My group has suggested using Ironsworn to play it, and I'll be honest I just have no idea what kind of Assets and such I should bring to the table to make it a reality.

Any thoughts gang?

Comments

  1. I know for my Jaguar Warrior she'd need something to go with her arm (Giant stone arm with Jade inlays that is magically created/manipulated as if it were her actual arm)
    We'd also need races because we have 2 lizard folk, a dragon born, 2 tigerfolk, and a mecha...
    I thought I'd give a bit more detail of what's involved in this game so far xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you need an asset for the races. It might be worth making a "vanilla human" asset and give everyone a race asset to start with?

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the arm, you might get away with something like this?

    Enhanced Limb
    o Strength: When you roll +iron where this limb makes sense to be in play, take +1.
    o Inhumanity: When you test a bond with someone who favours enhancements, take +1.
    o ??: When you roll to clash or strike +iron, you may take +1 on the roll and +1 momentum on a hit, but suffer -1 spirit as you are seduced with the otherworldly power it grants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Martin Bentley I dig it! Steals it

    ReplyDelete
  5. You could also make it +edge, if the limb is more dexterous than powerful, on thinking about it. The second point feels a little weak as well. Might benefit from take +1 and +1 momentum in a hit?

    The first and third are intended to stack by the way, so you can get +2 on a clash or strike when using your enhanced limb, but pay spirit for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your racial assets were solid stuff, Justin Gordon. That's probably a good place to start for incorporating races (perhaps call them "Heritage" or "Lineage").

    Many of the existing assets can probably be re-themed, but happy to talk through some specific abilities and see what we can cobble together.

    For a prosthetic stone arm, a high Iron plus Brawler might be enough, and you can depict other capabilities (great strength?) through the fiction. Does it have any magical abilities (other than being a bad-ass stone arm)?

    For a quicker re-skin, you can also consider using roles instead of assets (page 239). They function much like Fate Aspects. You miss out on some of the fun crunchiness of assets, but the end-result is pretty similar without as much prep. You can start out with perhaps 2 roles per character go give them more differentiation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shawn Tomkin I think Roles might be just the right mechanical balance for the group, I may work on some Aztecha themed Assets in the background as the game develops so that I'll have some in the wings in case we start a new character.

    Given the magic and tech level of the setting, having a Role like Blood Sorcerer or Magitech Engineer that lets you use moves in unusual ways (Secure an Advantage using blood magic or technology, Face Danger with a shield of power). I dig it!

    What say ye Lysa Clarke

    Oh man and maaaaaybe it gets recorded and we get a demo of playing Ironsworn in a nonstandard setting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd love to see you kicking the tires on roles. They are pretty new.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds good to me! Xui will be pretty fun to play :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now, all this is making me want to go and do some Final Fantasy jobs as assets...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment