Ran my first game if Ironsworn last night for 3 D&D players.
Ran my first game if Ironsworn last night for 3 D&D players. What started as a hunting trip to feed a village turned into a quest to kill a troll which had captured some hunters for playthings. Everyone loved it and wants to play again next week.
Thanks for producing this great game, I can't wait to run it again.
Thanks for producing this great game, I can't wait to run it again.
That's awesome, Adam Connolly! Thanks for giving it a try. Sounds like you were GM'ing? Any issues or questions? How did your players handle the transition to a more narrative game?
ReplyDeleteThey took to it really well, I was pleasantly surprised. Not really any issues, the moves gave me plenty opportunities to change the story as it happened and the players really enjoyed the increased level of control in their actions.
ReplyDeleteThe only weirdness I had was figuring out how Shadow Step was meant to work, I wasn't sure if the move was triggered whenever the character attempted to use shadows or is it a ritual they do in the morning which then affects one of the relevant moves one time that day?
Hi, Adam Connolly. Personally, I would handle Shadow-Walk as a ritual that takes a couple of minutes.The character would then shift into the shadow-realms in order to make a move. Think of it like Frodo putting on the ring in order to escape danger, except slightly more involved. You and your players can envision the shadow realms and how it manifests however you like (rule of cool, etc.).
ReplyDeleteIf you have the second ability, you're basically spending an entire segment of your journey shifted into the shadow realms, and using it as a shortcut through reality. There's an assumption that you're taking allies along with you, which creates some interesting possibilities on a miss. What else travels those paths?
This is all pretty flexible. You can decide that rituals are more like quick-fire spells, or that you prep the ritual in the morning in order to open the path to the shadow realms on-demand later that day.
That makes sense, so it's good for infiltration and the like when you're free to take your time. Thanks for clearing that up Shawn Tomkin
ReplyDelete