The Pay the Price table in the Ironsworn Play Aids collection has been updated to be compatible with the most recent...

The Pay the Price table in the Ironsworn Play Aids collection has been updated to be compatible with the most recent rulebook release. If there's any other generators you'd like to see added, let me know!

https://chartopia.d12dev.com/en/collection/50/
https://chartopia.d12dev.com/en/collection/50/

Comments

  1. I hadn't previously noticed the "Where is my objective" combo: lovely! This is the first time I systematically use oracles on a digital medium. I like to play as "analog" as possible, but Ironsworn oracles are extensive and you often have to roll on more than one to get an aswer: Chartopia is such a convenient solution! Thank you Justin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this Justin (and sorry for the changes!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shawn Tomkin No problem, the changes are an improvement!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Evandro Novel yeah, I'm continually impressed with what it can do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been using these also -- very helpful. My one suggestion would be to add a randomizer to the NPC generator so that it sometimes generates a female character.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ken Hubbard I didn't think I'd included gender in the table, but I do see a "His" in the boilerplate. I'll change that to singular their to reduce confusion.

    The goal of the table is to let the character name suggest a gender or to allow the reader to choose as they will. I could add a gender roll, but it could wonky if you draw a traditionally male name.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This may not really be a thing you can control, but I’ve been a little bit… Confused by the accessibility of the oracles, lack there of. I’m not sure what happens when I asked my screen reading program to click on the generate button, but I can’t seem to actually find results. From my perspective as a totally blind user, the whole system seems as though it doesn’t actually do anything, which I realize is patently untrue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. To be clear, I suspect the accessibility issue is not specific to the ironsworn oracles, but I suspect it exists on the platform in general.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Zachary Kline ... have you dealt with any apps for randomly selected tabular data which do a better job of accessibility? Is there a format just for the raw tables which would work well for a screen reader? I'd be happy to drop the content into some other format if that was helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Zachary Kline Yeah I'm afraid that's not something that I can directly control, I'll definitely drop a line to the developers and let them know if I can though

    ReplyDelete
  11. Zachary Kline Justin Gordon Zachary, I think it would be useful if you could let us know which reading program you use. The more details Chartopia people have, the more likely they can do something to fix things....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Evandro Novel very true… I’ve had different trouble using Voiceover, the default screen reading program on Mac and iOS. The Mac simply doesn’t seem to react when I hit the “roll” button, but the phone actively confuses me by forcing the screen reader to focus on the navigation controls, instead of letting me scroll to view what was actually generated. It’s hard to explain, I’m afraid…

    I will try the windows screen readers later this evening, and pass along the results, although I am not hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Justin Gordon Thanks, making it neutral works just as well. If you want to avoid the awkward grammar of the neutral pronoun (some people like it, some don't) you could go with something like: Naila is a dangerous Passive Scout whose current goal is to Build a Relationship . Naila's current stance toward you is friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ken Hubbard I like your phrasing better, I'll update it the next time I'm at the PC. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glenn from Chartopia here, I'm interested to know what difficulties are being experienced with accessibility of the site. Feel free to contact me so that we can discuss it. I have a hunch part of the issue is the modal dialogs but I'll admit I haven't designed the site with accessibility in mind so I'm keen to fix this if there's an issue.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glenn McCord I love Chartopia, thanks for building it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glenn McCord Hi Glenn, I like what Justin has done with Chartopia and Ironsworn! I hope you will manage to make it available to Zachary Kline too! To test the thing, I have installed the "Read aloud" chrome plug-in: it seems to behave in the same way that Zachary described. I too have the impression that the thing might be connected with the modal dialogs.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glenn McCord considering that as far as I knew there were no modal dialogues, that might very well be it… I’m curious what tools you used to create them? I am actually working on becoming a web accessibility specialist, so this kind of thing is interesting to me professionally as well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Zachary Kline Yes, the default behaviour when clicking a chart is to open a modal dialog. The reason was two-fold: firstly to allow for quicker viewing because an entire page change was a big visual context switch for the user. Secondly, mobile browsers are a pain for going forwards and backwards in the browser page history.

    I recently added ctrl-click to have charts open in a new tab. In the modal dialog there is also a little eye-icon that is also meant to show a full screen version.

    In regards to the modal dialog library I'm using, I'm using this: nakupanda.github.io - BootstrapDialog examples

    I haven't written any of the app with accessibility in mind though (at least not as the primary work flow), so I'll have to revisit this. Thanks for the feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glenn McCord Thanks for the info! :) Bootstrap has a bit of a problem with accessibility in general, but you might find this plugin of interest. paypal.github.io - Bootstrap accessibility plugin

    I've not had much luck with it personally, but maybe it will work on the site.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment