Finally got a chance to DL all the play test docs a couple days ago.
Finally got a chance to DL all the play test docs a couple days ago. Skimmed them over a day or two, settling in for a deeper read now. Some stream of consciousness thoughts thus far follow:
Impressive, professional, & clean looking. Very slick & smooth. I REALLY like the photo artwork for some reason. Gives it a different, unified look.
Really digging the setting material, which is odd, as this normally isn't my thing. First game to make me want to play fantasy in a while. First game that REALLY makes me want to read/learn it ASAP to try it out in recent memory.
First game since as far back as I can remember that, from what I've seen thus far, looks like I could pick it up & play it right out of the box, without having to hack, modify, or add a bunch of outside material to my liking.
I probably will have more to say later. I most likely will incorporate these thoughts + any others that arise into a post on my blog.
NOW, one observation I don't know if anyone mentioned: pg. 14 and 15, paragraphs 1, line 2 for both, under "Resetting Momentum" & "Maximum Momentum", there is a reference to Debility (a concept not introduced yet I think? First mention I remember seeing of it), but the term is not capitalized, bold-ed, or italicized, nor page number sited. Not a huge deal. I stopped & looked it up in the contents & went to the appropriate section. But since everything else is so clearly marked & cross-referenced thus far I wanted to make sure I mentioned it.
Hopefully there will be an index at the end when the book is complete as well. :)
Now, back to reading! :)
Impressive, professional, & clean looking. Very slick & smooth. I REALLY like the photo artwork for some reason. Gives it a different, unified look.
Really digging the setting material, which is odd, as this normally isn't my thing. First game to make me want to play fantasy in a while. First game that REALLY makes me want to read/learn it ASAP to try it out in recent memory.
First game since as far back as I can remember that, from what I've seen thus far, looks like I could pick it up & play it right out of the box, without having to hack, modify, or add a bunch of outside material to my liking.
I probably will have more to say later. I most likely will incorporate these thoughts + any others that arise into a post on my blog.
NOW, one observation I don't know if anyone mentioned: pg. 14 and 15, paragraphs 1, line 2 for both, under "Resetting Momentum" & "Maximum Momentum", there is a reference to Debility (a concept not introduced yet I think? First mention I remember seeing of it), but the term is not capitalized, bold-ed, or italicized, nor page number sited. Not a huge deal. I stopped & looked it up in the contents & went to the appropriate section. But since everything else is so clearly marked & cross-referenced thus far I wanted to make sure I mentioned it.
Hopefully there will be an index at the end when the book is complete as well. :)
Now, back to reading! :)
Thanks so much for giving it a look, MoonSylver. Really appreciate the feedback and I am glad you are enjoying it.
ReplyDeleteAnd thanks for the callout on the debilities mention. I've tried to be vigilant about not introducing random mechanical terms out of the blue, but missed that one! I'll flag it.
I hope you enjoy the rest of the read. Things are still a bit rough around the edges, but my goal is to let people give it a try, provide feedback, and see whether the final product might be of interest.
You'll also find some updated moves in the playtest version here:
drive.google.com - Ironsworn-Moves-Playtest.pdf
Chapter 3 will require some changes based on an evolution of a few of the moves. I'm going to take a prelim pass at at that this weekend just to sync things up and provide more support for playtesters. It may continue to course correct a bit thereafter, but hopefully not much.
And, heck yes to the index.
Welcome to the group! Hope you post some of you game stuff (characters, themes, settings, stories, rolls, etc)!
ReplyDelete