Being new to this sort of gaming, if via my backstory wanted to have a short term vow, of make money for my family,...
Being new to this sort of gaming, if via my backstory wanted to have a short term vow, of make money for my family, as in make them rich so they dont have to do physical work anymore. I know its a bit weak, but I was interested if I could take that skeleton and via the system find out how I would, or do I need more detail?
Further thought and it might be not suitable as a short term vow. I want to start my first attempt at solo play over the next few weeks, but have a block with vows. Do I need a more solid setting To help generate one?
ReplyDeleteSo how about. In my village is a mine, my dad and other family members are miners.
ReplyDeleteThere is a gas explosion in the mine. Great thunder rumble and blast of dust out the opening.
Folk rush to investigate.
I make a vow to rescue my family and others trapped below.
Call it Dangerous. Rolled 6 + 2heart + 1bond. Q; I also have a bond to the community, do they stack? 9 vs 3&1, Strong hit.
I know something about mining, so gather gear to help in the rescue.
Secure an Advantage. Roll 3 + 2wits vs 7&5. Must beat the individual numbers correct? Miss
Not sure how to interpret the miss, with no thought I just roll on the Pay the Price table and get - 75 act against my best intentions. Otherwise go with my own invention. One possiblity is the stores of rescue gear - rope etc is poorly stocked or missing.
One idea could be the explosion was saboutage and the rescue gear has been taken to hamper rescue...
ReplyDeleteI think industrial sabotage is a very interesting way to go, and offers a second Vow "I will bring vengeance upon the one who sabotaged the mine"
ReplyDelete"My family will never know want again" could be an excellent LONG-term vow, too, if you wanted it to be.
ReplyDeleteWhat I generally do when I'm unsure of the best way to proceed, is take the first two ideas that come to mind (or one idea from each player, in my co-op play), and Ask The Oracle at whatever weighting feels appropriate. If you wanted to get further abstract in the creation process, you could use the idea generation Oracles near the back of the book to string together some inspiration, and if you're unsure of one, then take two ideas that way and Ask The Oracle about them.
As I move deeper into the destroyed mine and I wanted to test my resolve to rescue friends and family, would I test; Test your bond or Test your spirit?
ReplyDeleteAllan Prewett Test your spirit is only invoked when you suffer -spirit and Test Bonds only applies when something happens that would logically strain or break the bond between you.
ReplyDeleteI would personally Face Danger +heart to avoid quailing away in the face of danger and possibly suffering -spirit as the consequence of a weak hit.
I will go with Spirit.
ReplyDeleteMoving deeper and clearing rubble, I find dead or injured. Helping them out to others and then returning to the search. I have minimal rescue gear, foul air and bodies.
Spirit 5 + 1dice roll = 6. Roll 6 & 2 - weak hit. Pressing on.
I want to see if I find evidence of saboutage.
Would I just say yes, like a Gumshoe core clue, roll on the Oracle, or Gather Information? I am inclined towards the later.
Sorry Justin, your reply came up after I went with Spirit. Will rewind and look at your option. I was not expecting anyone to be on the site as I figured most users are in the US and it would Christmas day
ReplyDeleteRedo, Face Danger to test resolve.
ReplyDeleteRoll 1 + 2heart = 3 vs 6 & 2 weak hit. -1 to spirit. I find someone I liked who dies in my arms.
Not sure how to explain the saboutage pre gunpowder. Greek Fire comes to mind, but that is more a burn than explosion
Why the saboutage method, as I rolled a miss on Gather Information and I thought the threat could be an live missfire.
ReplyDeleteI may go with a coal mine and its resulting danger of methane explosions. So the saboutage is in the ventallation system.
ReplyDeleteI would still like some expert guidance on how to handle core clues. We have gamed Gumshoe, and infact one of our games is Confidential 121. But in solo or coop is it ok to just give the clue without a roll?
But I still like the twist of the miss on gather information, so I still learn of the saboutage, but the air is hot and coal dust is in the air, with my lantern, causing a further dust explosion (if I have my chemistry correct)