An option for Undertake a Journey

An option for Undertake a Journey
Just an idea, but would an option work to break a journey into different ranks.
Eg, start on the plains - troublesome
Into the foothills - dangerous
Etc.

Comments

  1. Are you suggesting breaking a single journey into phases that allow you to do different progress levels to the same 10 pt track based on which leg you currently on? If so, why not have each of those legs be separate journeys in and of themselves? If that makes sense? "Journey to the far side of the planes" with 10 boxes and 3 progress per waypoint and a "Journey through the foothills" with its own 10 boxes and 2 progress per waypoint? Would seem easier to track.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One technique I've been playing with which might be included as an option in Chapter 7, is to adjust the challenge of a journey or fight midstream. For example, an NPC joins you in a segment of a journey, and they have some knowledge of the area. For that segment, mark progress as if the rank was one lower (i.e. you are on a formidable journey, but you mark progress as if it were a dangerous journey when you have the aid of the NPC).

    Similarly, let's say you are in a fight and some narrative event or oracle interpretation introduces some NPC allies in the midst of things. To reflect their support, I might consider dropping the rank of the challenge.

    The option to make the progress tracks fluid is kind of a cool thing to play with, but probably shouldn't be overdone. And, I wouldn't ever do it with quests because narrative help is already accounted for by Reach a Milestone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shawn Tomkin I don't want to derail Allan Prewett's post, but I have always wondered why there is no three tick threat level in Ironsworn. Unless I am mistaken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, John Risus. I just preferred being able to fill up progress boxes evenly, versus always ending up with extra ticks or not enough ticks. It misses out on some potential granularity, but feels more elegant. Plus. I wanted to limit myself to 5 ranks for various reasons that jive with other spokes of the mechanical wheel (i.e. status tracks). Crunching the numbers left me with 3 progress as the easiest and 1 tick as the hardest, so it was just a matter of filling in everything between.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment