Hi, total greenhorn.

Hi, total greenhorn.
I have only skimmed the book and it looks very good.
My group is only 2. Myself as sole gm and a long time player.
I am leaning towards co-op for something diferent.
I see there is a setting included, but to make the starting process easier I was hoping to use one of our other settings we are familiar with. Is there an elevator pitch for the rules so I can work out what would be a good fit. I have games like Harn, Tekumel, 13 Age, Atlantis, Talislanta etc to name a few. I assume we are looking at a fantasy rules system.
Thanks

Comments

  1. Hi, Allan Prewett. Thanks for giving Ironsworn a look.

    Elevator pitch:

    ----------------

    The default setting for Ironsworn is gritty fantasy at the edge of the known world. Player characters are adventurers sworn to complete perilous quests. This quests tend to snowball into new situations and new vows, which create some natural momentum for your story and fuel character growth.

    For the overall tone of how I think of Ironsworn, I would look to media like the Vikings series or The Last Kingdom, but in a more multi-cultural setting and with an overlay of dark fantasy and magic.

    ----------------

    The what-the-hell-is-taking-this-elevator-so-long-expanded-discussion:

    By adjusting the dials in your game and the assets you use, it's possible to play a more historical-inspired game or amp up the fantasy. That said, there are limitations and Ironsworn isn't really intended to be a toolkit for any fantasy setting (though folks here seem to be doing a good job of bending it without breaking it).

    I'm not familiar with all of the games on your list. Off the cuff I would say Harn might be a good fit for Ironsworn. As I recall, that setting is low-fantasy and more historical in feel.

    The moves and assets are what primarily drive the tone and theme of Ironsworn. Since those are a relatively quick read, I would give them a look and see how they might pair with any of the settings you have in mind. You can pick assets that are a fit for your preferences. You can also ignore assets entirely, but that -- to me -- takes away a chunk of the focus and fun for your character. Finally, you can also re-skin assets or build your own, though obviously more work.

    My longer-term plans for Ironsworn includes asset packs to to support different types of fantasy settings, such as introducing blackpowder weapons and archetypes for a Solomon Kane-esque campaign.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ironsworn is by default a high-violence low-magic setting. Of the ones you've listed Harn is the best fit. The Middemark setting for Torchbearer also might work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment