Epic Foe challenge! If you had to fight (not RP out of the fight) an Epic Foe in Ironsworn, what would you bring?

Comments

  1. Lots of cunning fight maneuvers, like feint, disarm and shield bash to bring him low

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd bring some help! If it's supported by the fiction, you can feel free to knock the rank of an Epic foe down a peg (or two). If I was going up against a leviathan, for example, and it was part of a quest, I'd probably mark some progress by securing an alliance with some raiders or other seafarers to join me in the battle.

    Then, I'd take their support into account by adjusting the rank of the foe.

    I'll be discussing this a idea bit in the rulebook. It won't ever be heavily mechanical -- just an option to tune a challenge based on support you've gained through the narrative. Minor support = down a rank. Major support = down two ranks. Applies to journeys and combat.

    Other than that, making moves before the fight to boost momentum going in, then making liberal use of assets and momentum-building moves to hold that advantage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allan Prewett​​ surprised you didn't say 3 Hounds (Ferocious) and a Bow!

    5 Harm from a weak hit on Clash and Strike, 6 harm from a strong hit (or +3 momentum & 2-3 harm). 3 meat shields with 4 health. High heart to increase the chances of Companion Endure Harm being a Strong Hit. And a Bow to stay in the background.

    Though a Horse, Shield-Bearer, and Ironclad will give you +'s to your Strike/Clash/Face Danger/Secure an Advantage die rolls. Those are also 3 of the best Assets for mitigating damage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hah.The book mentions not picking the same asset as another player, but doesn't say anything to prevent you from assembling a pack of hounds, or a raven for every occasion. It just never occurred to me that anyone might do that.

    It's not a game for minmaxers. It'll break for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shawn Tomkin you would have trouble doing that in a RP heavy game. I can sit here pushing the "I win" button all day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment