At char gen, I have 3 assets.

At char gen, I have 3 assets.
I have noted in some other systems that they offer companions for the same cost as other assets. But if I did not choose one, then I am penalized as I dont gain the companions bonus's which are usually more than the one slot taken. For example, Heroquest offers companions and you get there extra benifits (usually 2 or more) for the same cost. So a house rule is to increase the number of asset points for all, say from 5 to 7. If you take a companion the first cost covers only one off there abilities, if you want more you spend more of your points.
Has some thought been put into a similar balance?
A hound has 2 good extra benifits, so either other assets offer the same or I need to burn 2 assets to get a hound.
Assuming game balance is important in PbtA games, I have never played one.
Could I take 3x hound for example and have a pack with me?

Comments

  1. So further to my thinking, if balance is important, would be to have a similar buy option for a companion, so if I have a hound at char gen, I have the option to pick one of its assets.

    Connected to this, I note that in the rules, the first/top option has been marked in the examples.
    Is this what is expected or could I choose any?
    If the later, maybe that could be mentioned or mix it up between each of the examples.
    If the former, then I expect the rules to mention somewhere that I can only choose the top option to start and then buy greater mastery down the list.

    Sorry for the deluge in posts

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you take a companion asset, you also get to pick any of the three starting abilities. You don't have to pick them in order. It's called out in the companion section on page 38, and started more generally on page 41.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep! Have a look at assets on page 41. Note to myself to add a mention of starting abilities in the character chapter, since I failed to reinforce it there.

    Assets will usually have a starting ability marked. If not, you get to pick one. You can pick whichever one you want, and upgrade in any order.

    As you spend experience to upgrade an asset, you get to mark a new ability. In the case of an animal companion, this represents training, forming a bond, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol, I had only printed up to page 40...
    I was skipping around the pdf but missed page 41.
    Maybe the hound graphic could have a thought bubble beside it, to pick one only.

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I think balance is very important, I always end up cutting/pasting the current Assets to make my own (sometimes changing the stat/move the ability effects).

    So I would definitely play someone with a bunch of companions!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment