Shawn Tomkin Obviously Vikings is a wealth of material for a game of Ironsworn, what other source material inspired the game? Or I guess I should ask 'what source material should I be plundering for campaign ideas'?
Hi, Justin Gordon! Thanks for asking. For media influences:
Vikings (the show / nordic culture generally) and The Last Kingdom (books and show) are fairly obvious touchstones in terms of tone and are reflected by much of the imagery in the book.
Brotherhood of the Wolf for it's genre-blending and beast hunting.
The Witcher books and games, and RPG video games generally for their main quests and side-quests.
Skyrim, probably. It's burned into my DNA at this point.
Eastern European mythology and fairy tales.
Lots of fantasy fiction.
Kurosawa movies and the idea of the lone warrior offering help while seeking redemption. Similarly, Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns and Mad Max, which are all of a family.
The broken are basically the reavers, from Firefly Also, from that show, the getting tangled up in random trouble at some backwater settlement.
It's easy to picture things in a game like Ironsworn as anglo-saxon-esque (and the imagery in the book leans on that), but I tend to picture things fairly culturally diverse, with a tossed salad of cultures: Nordic, Himalayan, eastern Asian, Native american and Inuit, eastern European, etc. I love seeing what people are doing in the actual plays, such as the South American influences Toimu has brought into play.
Shawn Tomkin spaghetti westerns, now thats a genre to mine. What's that one, I think it's Clint Eastwood. Where he plays the sheriff that gets hanged in the beginning and comes back as a ghost to save the town from the gang of criminals that lynched him? That's a whale of an Ironsworn game right there.
Much cooler than my idea.
ReplyDeletehttps://youtu.be/9HK7qZxecas
You can see where Ragnar's player rolled Last Stand, lol
ReplyDeleteShawn Tomkin Obviously Vikings is a wealth of material for a game of Ironsworn, what other source material inspired the game? Or I guess I should ask 'what source material should I be plundering for campaign ideas'?
ReplyDeleteHi, Justin Gordon! Thanks for asking. For media influences:
ReplyDeleteVikings (the show / nordic culture generally) and The Last Kingdom (books and show) are fairly obvious touchstones in terms of tone and are reflected by much of the imagery in the book.
Brotherhood of the Wolf for it's genre-blending and beast hunting.
The Witcher books and games, and RPG video games generally for their main quests and side-quests.
Skyrim, probably. It's burned into my DNA at this point.
Eastern European mythology and fairy tales.
Lots of fantasy fiction.
Kurosawa movies and the idea of the lone warrior offering help while seeking redemption. Similarly, Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns and Mad Max, which are all of a family.
The broken are basically the reavers, from Firefly Also, from that show, the getting tangled up in random trouble at some backwater settlement.
It's easy to picture things in a game like Ironsworn as anglo-saxon-esque (and the imagery in the book leans on that), but I tend to picture things fairly culturally diverse, with a tossed salad of cultures: Nordic, Himalayan, eastern Asian, Native american and Inuit, eastern European, etc. I love seeing what people are doing in the actual plays, such as the South American influences Toimu has brought into play.
Shawn Tomkin spaghetti westerns, now thats a genre to mine. What's that one, I think it's Clint Eastwood. Where he plays the sheriff that gets hanged in the beginning and comes back as a ghost to save the town from the gang of criminals that lynched him? That's a whale of an Ironsworn game right there.
ReplyDeleteHigh Plains Drifter, I think.
I think movies like "Django unchained" would also be a great fix, or a few other Revisionist Westerns.
ReplyDeleteen.m.wikipedia.org - Revisionist Western - Wikipedia