A question for the community, what cool settings do you have for games of Ironsworn?
A question for the community, what cool settings do you have for games of Ironsworn? I know Shawn Tomkin has mentioned eventually producing different Asset packs to enforce different genre conventions and types of fantasy, so what kinds of worlds are you excited to Ironswornize?
I had to think about #skyrim of the #ElderScrolls yesterday. Not sure it is a fit. Or if I is just the pictures.
ReplyDeleteMaybe ones, or genres that accept solo or 1-2-1 groups. Sword and Sorcery. Modern day spy, I know not fantasy but maybe a convertion to a fantasy setting. Western. Genres that accept the lone protagonist.
ReplyDeleteI'm doing a high fantasy high combat game. Using the mechanics of ammo for casting spells.
ReplyDeleteMostly I just cut/paste from the current assets, then change the stat and move the abilities are talking about.
I haven't really created anything new.
Warlock
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19rWV1C5CXhzbf_8wo5T99xDQvU_HUL0JByCeYt4VgSw/edit?usp=drivesdk
Paladin
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dUMj6OOkwXJYnAkoUHdM90OQ9GWrjLSyXlIe7nZX02s/edit?usp=drivesdk
I've got some ideas to make the Paladin more of a Buffer, and the Warlock more of a Debuffer.
For myself, I’m leaning pretty heavily into Norse and Danish/Swedish/Norwegian/Icelandic myth and folklore for the basis of my setting, while trying to give it all as unnerving and gothic/horror a feel as possible. So far the Assets have been supporting the low/dark fantasy feel pretty well. I wouldn’t mind seeing human companions as it would be fun to have party members with some mechanical effects tied to them without having to run them as PCs. But that’s not really a setting bound desire. I’ve long been wanting to do a science fantasy/Numenera style setting, though I think with a little re-skinning the current mechanics of the current Assets could map fairly easily to any necessary archetypes.
ReplyDeleteMaybe some more socially mediated Assets a la Hardholders in Apocalypse World could be interesting for a more political, community survival based genre, or just feudal knights having to balance land holding issues and resources with questing, demands form from a liege, personal desires etc. Seems like it could be done with the present system of vows and moves, but I could see being the leader/title-holder of a settlement being an interesting Asset to work with.
Zack MacDonald lol, I forgot to look at AW & DW for more ideas on Assets!
ReplyDeleteFor Sci-fi/Scifantasy, I'm thinking of pulling from the Cypher System.
Zack MacDonald human companions would be really neat! Get yourself a sworn sword that could help you fight or an herbalist to help patch you up after a fight.
ReplyDeleteI also like the idea of a village chief type asset, granting you all sorts of neat tricks but also requiring a bit of management in return.
A lot of cool ideas here everyone, keep it up!
I am doing 17th century battles. Currently fighting in the great Turkish war as a Austrian infantry company. Assets are capabilities of the company like:
ReplyDeleteCommanded shot - a unit of independent fusiliers is attached to the company. ( ) First volley ... ( ) Forlorn hope ...
Game is mostly about marching through Hungary and fighting battles.
Bernhard Lutz that's an incredible transformation. Is your company basically represented as a single character? I've done that with games like Fate but I haven't tried it with a PbtA game yet. How does it feel? Do you still use Strike and Clash or do you default to Battle when you fight?
ReplyDeleteI play it as a single character. Health = manpower, spirit = morale, supply, momentum. The system works really well at representing a company of soldiers. Battles are quite tactical affairs. I am using all the moves. Works really well - I am able to match my understanding of warfare during the 17th century with the game moves. I will take notes on my next session and post them in the group.
ReplyDeleteBernhard Lutz .. please give me a kick in the shin if any of the changes to the combat moves in the updated playtest (see earlier post from me) undermine what's working for you.
ReplyDeleteAnd I'd love to see your notes when you have time.
Bernhard Lutz that sounds amazing both story wise and game mechanics! I will read it if you post it.
ReplyDelete