For those who have placed with groups (3 or more PCs), did you find any problems with each PC feeling like they had...

For those who have placed with groups (3 or more PCs), did you find any problems with each PC feeling like they had their own niche or gimmick within the group?

Comments

  1. I would like to hear this also.

    I've read in some AW games that the DM as having trouble getting the players to work together (everyone having a holding early on).

    In some D&D games, the team is sometimes split good vs evil. Not only do the players have trouble RP'ing why they are working together, but they want to take the story in different directions.

    The rules of Ironsworn (Vows, Bonds, Supply) seem to help the players want to work together.

    Would love to hear some play tests.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or were you talking about mechanics? Face, Tank, Healer, Nuker, etc...?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mechanics, yes. I was curious if the Asset cards were sufficient to give each PC their own distinct feel to playing them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Peter J. I'd also like to hear from folks whether they think the stats+vows+assets provide enough character detail and differentiation for player groups.

    Were I playing with a group, I might be inclined to guide characters into archetypes just to give everyone a narrative handle while they settle into the game. It's fairly easy to focus on a role, even typical RPG roles (i.e. warrior, magic-user, woodsman, sneaky guy, etc.) and pick assets which fit.

    (designer note: assets were once organized into specific roles which functioned much more like traditional AW/DW playbooks).

    More assets will also add a bit more variety. The plan is to release another set of 9 with the complete book, which will give 45 total. Beyond that, perhaps another expansion set and then additional asset theme packs to support some alternative settings.

    All that said, Ironsworn isn't really concerned with niche protection, and the answer might depend a bit on a specific group dynamic and how their roleplaying helps create robust characters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking one way of solving this problem would be to make one type of Asset--most likely the Path type--provide a powerful signature ability, and limit each character to only one of that type.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was thinking about adding a career a little bit like Barbarians of Lemuria. Everybody gets 1, and gets +1 to rolls reasonably related to it. I like +Peter J's idea. Having a "Core" type of asset where it's strong and you can only pick one and you have them correspond to archetypes might be a more interesting way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm thinking of my time in the Army. We all had the same training and gear, but we're completely different people who handled things differently.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment