Hey sorry this is so much later than I'd said it'd be; work got busy and I didn't get the chance to play I'd been...

Hey sorry this is so much later than I'd said it'd be; work got busy and I didn't get the chance to play I'd been planning on.

This one was a little heavier on roleplay and dialogue than the last. I'm expecting the next part whenever I get around to playing it to have some more in the way of mechanics, hopefully. I messed around with the spelling of a couple of the words from their origin, but the only one that I think is probably unfamiliar and not referenced in English in the parenthetical notes is Wikipedia-able and verbatim in terms of spelling. Still having a lot of fun with the game, and am planning to play some more; don't hate me too much for the cliff hanger if you do get that far; this one's rather long... Let me know your thoughts and if any questions come up. And apologies as usual for any degree of difficulty in parsing the prose or notes as a result of poor punctuation/style or inconsistency of notation respectively; for what its worth, it's exactly the document as it gets written during play without any editing.

Oh, and Justin Gordon, do you mind if I use your character sheet as the template for my own? I'd been using a physical version up to now, which has been cool, but I'd like to share the character sheet in case anyone's curious what assets/vows Ludvik's got.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Gq-GA0TYkXj9f70LFTjGHjKwjrCJD3ko3K8It0QVfDo/edit?usp=sharing

(Part 1 in case you missed it or need a refresher)
https://plus.google.com/111853093910001598459/posts/1VP4gQN7n5T

Comments

  1. Feel free to use that character sheet however you like! As far as I'm concerned it belongs to the community

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving this, Zack MacDonald! Unfortunately was only able to get a few pages in over coffee, but will pick back up again tomorrow morning. Can't wait!

    Beautiful setting and characters. Very evocative. Also loving your interpretation of oracles. You're doing a great job with the mechanics and pushing the story forward.

    If you've got any general or specific feedback based on your playthrough, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just opened to read, maybe a link to Part 1 at the top? I have a terrible memory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed part 1. Hopefully I can get part 2 read over the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Downloaded and in queue to read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Justin Gordon, I’ll edit it up there when I get a chance. Hopefully you’ll like this part as much as the last. Look forward to hearing your thoughts if anything sticks out for you.

    John Risus Ah, good idea, I’ve edited it into the post at the end below the part two link.

    Shawn Tomkin I’m really glad you’re enjoying it, it’s been a blast to play. As far as specific thoughts, I’m really digging the ratio of weak to strong hits and the degree to which modifiers feel rare and powerful as a result of the stats of the dice rolls. Definitely makes for some really fun plot deflection and opportunities for side stories. I’m excited by the new combat move changes, and I’m looking forward to giving them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. +Toimu Great! Let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zack MacDonald. Thank you for the hearty weekend read! Loved spending my morning coffee with this.

    I continue to be impressed by your world-building. It's a really rich, evocative setting, and I am gratified to see how you've taken some bits of the default setting and added all of the color and texture to make it your own.

    There's an almost cthulhu mythos vibe to things (i.e. the elves and the old man), which is really, really cool. I am totally stealing your elves for my own games.

    It's funny how every oracle you roll seems almost too-perfect for the situation, but that's because you're doing such a nice job of interpretation.

    Mechanics-wise, I think you're doing a good job of weaving moves into the narrative. I'd say the momentum system and balance of strong hits / weak hits / misses seems to be working well in your playthrough, but would love to hear your thoughts.

    Can't wait for more. Gotta' see what's happening with those raiders.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shawn Tomkin Thanks, I’m really glad you’re enjoying it! By all means, steal whatever you wish; and I have to say the way the elves turned out was really exciting for me as well. I feel like I spent a fair few words/sentences/scenes trying to get them across in a way that matched their look and feel in my head, so I’m glad I did them some justice.
    Yeah, Lovecraft, Poe, And Machen have long been close to my heart so I can see them coming through a fair bit both in this and likely in subsequent parts. One of the fun things with the ratio of strong/weak hits and misses has been that it can push things in some desperate (and thereby horrific, if desired) sorts of directions, which I’ve really enjoyed. I’ve always had this feeling that Nordic Mythology and folklore could do well with a Mythos bent without seeming too disjointed or jarring, and I’ve been having fun playing with that in this playthrough so far.
    Like I’ve said elsewhere, I’m loving the momentum system and all that it can be worked to represent in order to abstract the character’s actions to gain some certainty or mastery over their situation and how that feeds into the narrative control/initiative for the player character on the mechanical side.
    I definitely agree that the balance of statistics is working for me, and keeps things very interesting; and the two double nines was very memorable as part of that pair of misses! I’ve really been coming to appreciate the doubles as a nice substitute for a GM/DM/MC’s initiative to add the unexpected or elaborate on a player’s move, and I really like how much more often it comes up for me than in, say, Mythic, as there’s no necessity to be thinking of and asking questions (which has always been a bit of a problem for me as things get going); it just happens in play as you as a player try to do things.
    I’m excited to see what’s up with the raiders as well! I’ve got a couple suspicions about what might happen with them, but only the dice will tell...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment