I wrote Session 2 of the Red Warlord.

I wrote Session 2 of the Red Warlord. I didn’t necessarily make all the moves that I would normally have made during a game, and I definitely didn’t rely on the Oracle as much as I normally would. Mostly I had a pretty clear idea of what I needed from this session to set the stakes of the conflict. From here on out though sessions will be much more oracle driven as is my normal method.

Chapter 1: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Dy1-oLliw-DZ6iSDqLomKZTmyhUlS1BP

Chapter 2: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ICaVGhjU7V87eVcVFD9552xIa_n9odnn
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Dy1-oLliw-DZ6iSDqLomKZTmyhUlS1BP

Comments

  1. Justin Gordon Yes, another installment! Haven't been able to do any writing myself, so at least I can read some Ironsworn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justin Gordon I am enjoying Nation's journey. As an encouragement, I don't think there is anything wrong with not using the oracles. They are a tool and knowing when to use them (or not to use them) is important for a good story. Imho. I am looking forward to Chapter 3.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeremiah Wenneker I entirely agree, I'm just used to using the Oracle a little more heavily (to help tread the fine line between RP and novel writing). In this case I knew what the session needed to accomplish, so I went with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not to derail your great post, but it is interesting to consider how much Oracles should be used. I use them every chance the rules remind/suggest. Why? Because just like FtF gaming, its not fun to railroad your ideas. Now, I understand why Justin Gordon didn't use them in this instance, but I am curious how much other use them. For me, I like the surprise. If it wasn't for surprises, even though i usually have a 'plan', I love seeing that plan completely tossed out for twists. The RP/Novel example is spot on for me. Happy New Years BTW all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. An awesome, grim entry Justin Gordon. Really liked how you personified death and can't wait to see where the story goes.

    Leading with your narrative instincts for a scene like this, instead of bringing oracles into play, totally makes sense. You will note that the 1st option in both Pay the Price and Ask the Oracle is to simply decide what happens based in what is the best fit for the situation and the overall story. Totally cool and encouraged.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment