I’m finally back to writing!
I’m finally back to writing! After one heck of a bout of writer’s block, I finally got the momentum I needed to overcome the Challenge Dice (hehe). I present a vignette from the life of one Bastien of Karakragg. I took inspiration from Chuck Durfee method of writing little chunks at a time, rather than trying to bust out a whole session in a sitting, and hopefully that will help me to stay motivated and see this one through. I did a little bit of formatting stuff to this one as well to make it a little easier to follow the flow of mechanics.
My goal for this session out of character was to write a fight scene that didn’t necessarily feel like a fight scene. The Battle move is thus the star of the show here.
One thing that I noticed that really helped the writing flow was that I followed the advice that Shawn Tomkin gives in the book to make a vow an imperative, something that has to happen. My issue that I ran into with my other AP is I found myself not suuuuper concerned whether or not the town gets its water back. This time I spent a few minutes and crafted something that really strikes home and would send just about any person into the appropriate kind of adventuring spirit. Giving the Vow some teeth really rocks and makes the session work.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Dy1-oLliw-DZ6iSDqLomKZTmyhUlS1BP
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Dy1-oLliw-DZ6iSDqLomKZTmyhUlS1BP
My goal for this session out of character was to write a fight scene that didn’t necessarily feel like a fight scene. The Battle move is thus the star of the show here.
One thing that I noticed that really helped the writing flow was that I followed the advice that Shawn Tomkin gives in the book to make a vow an imperative, something that has to happen. My issue that I ran into with my other AP is I found myself not suuuuper concerned whether or not the town gets its water back. This time I spent a few minutes and crafted something that really strikes home and would send just about any person into the appropriate kind of adventuring spirit. Giving the Vow some teeth really rocks and makes the session work.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Dy1-oLliw-DZ6iSDqLomKZTmyhUlS1BP
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Dy1-oLliw-DZ6iSDqLomKZTmyhUlS1BP
Hey, Justin Gordon. Excited to read it. Looks like you might need to set view permissions on the file to "Anyone with the link can view"
ReplyDeleteHm, that folder is supposed to be public :-/
ReplyDeleteI fixed it
Guess I should also mention that this is the end of the story, I'm experimenting with writing the end in media res and then telling the story of how I got there, hence the vow with no ticks despite me fighting the object of the vow
ReplyDeleteYep, working now. Thanks, Justin! Looking forward to reading it later today.
ReplyDeleteJustin Gordon damn you! Just kidding. He's THERE! I need to know whom the gods favor now! ;)
ReplyDeleteI wish I could write as well as you. You got me hooked.
So is the intention to play vs say an epic vow of retribution, and once you have progressed enough, then to merge into this scene as a way to complete the vow?
John Risus that's the plan :)
ReplyDeleteThe way I'm seeing it is Ive built the ending, so now I get to tell the story of how Bastien's family died, how he became a warrior, how he got people on his side that would fight for him etc.
Then, fight the duel and most likely write my epilogue not long after, as his vow to She Who Waits won't allow him to live much past the death of the warlord
Justin Gordon Very interesting. I am curious though, gods forbid, what you have planned if Bastien succumbs to the Ironsworn before he gets to this scene?
ReplyDeleteJohn Risus given that I as a player have a lot of control over the penalties I take I can do a fair job of keeping death off the table (though being maimed and corrupted still are)
ReplyDeleteAlso due to the vow made to the Goddess of Death I have some narrative traction to avoid death in ways that seem unreasonable
Goddess of Death... interesting... I like the inference! Cool. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great read, Justin Gordon. An awesome piece of fiction I'd enjoy even without the game behind it. What a cliffhanger, though, and I suspect you might be flashing back in time now? That's a really neat narrative technique and also an interesting way of setting up some milestones for your vow.
ReplyDeleteThanks also for the super-clean formatting of the mechanics.
Yeah I enjoyed trying to weave in a backstory while also accelerating toward this final showdown. You are correct in thinking that my next post will flash back to when Bastien's family dies and what he does about it. I'm thinking that my tone target is one part robin hood, one part braveheart, and a heavy helping of wild west style drifting from town to town recruiting others the warlord has hurt and building them into an effective fighting force.
ReplyDeleteI'm hoping that I can come up with enough neat stuff to explain away several years between the "first" and "last" sessions.
Of course, now with the hints that the Warlord is dropping about the oncoming darkness, I may have to find out what happens after too :D