So I'm just going to toss this out there, kind of get it in the air so to speak.
So I'm just going to toss this out there, kind of get it in the air so to speak. We have such good discussions here on the community, I would totally dig it if at some point we could do a hangouts game one-shot or something in co-op mode.
Heck, we could record it and put it up after the fact to advertise how cool Ironsworn is!
Heck, we could record it and put it up after the fact to advertise how cool Ironsworn is!
Justin Gordon sounds like an interesting idea. I'm all about supporting the development and advertisement of Ironsworn, but I do play solo because life is rather busy and unpredictable.
ReplyDeleteThat being said, I don't want to be seem like I am poo-pooing on the idea. Maybe a shared Google Doc co-op, where we establish a format, and play through it as time allows? Kinda like a newer version of a PBEM or PBP game.
I could do Johns idea, as I dont have a home computer, but I do have a huge paperweight. Flightsiming broke it.
ReplyDeleteAllan Prewett oh no, I love flight sims but not broken PCs
ReplyDeleteJustin Gordon My schedule is always a bit tight, hence the solo play option. I like the idea though and I am interested if the schedules can align.
ReplyDeleteI would be on for Johns idea.
ReplyDeleteCool, I’m hearing a lot of support for a PbP game and I think that’s a great idea given our solo roots. I’ve never run or participated in a PbP before, so it would definitely be a learning experience for me! Let me do a little research and mulling over and I’ll update with thoughts. Happy new year!
ReplyDeletecough cough Maybe in a Game of Thrones setting?
ReplyDeleteSeriously though, default would be fine.
John Risus I do like Game of Thrones, interested to see how Ironsworn does with the convoluted political game at the heart of GoT
ReplyDeleteJustin Gordon Game of Thrones fanatic here. How would you play the convoluted political game at the heart of GoT? With +Heart LOL?
ReplyDeleteHm, I think all of the stats have a place. Lying your face off? +Shadow, tricking someone with an intelligent trap? +Wits
ReplyDeleteMessed up and get challenged to trial by combat? +Iron
I would default to Battle over detailed combat, especially in a pbp game to keep things moving.
ReplyDeleteI feel like the real advantage to a pbp is that the players can spread out and all be doing different things at the same time without causing the facilitator undue stress, which would allow for some oceans 11 style heist scenes
(Player A describes sneaking into the ambassador's office earlier that day to Secure an Advantage for the team, he planted a weapon for the assassin who comes later.
Player B enters the embassy and is searched, they take all of his weapons.
Player C works on the guards, creating a distraction that goes off as the assassin (player B) executes the target
And then it all comes together for a Chase/fight scene
Actually as I'm musing on this I could see it working pretty well, Spirit already exists as a way to take damage from social encounters, and Supply just becomes the sum total of a player's resources (be they an army, a mansion, businesses etc).
ReplyDeleteA lot of the game would be Compel, Gather Information and Secure an Advantage with a side of social Face Danger moves. Probably could do with some specialized Assets to sell the world (paths like Courtier, Knight, Merchant come to mind, or Assets like an Estate or a Title would be handy)
Hmmm, you may be on to something John Risus
Justin Gordon Looks like someone may be hooked, reel him in boys! When you play the game of thrones, you don't just Face social Danger, you win or you die!
ReplyDeleteThough I think shared Supplies, which I believe is the default in Ironsworn for a group, may be a bit more gritty resource wise than what a player in the game of thrones might have. It might make a good urchin or bastard born resource.
But what distinguishes a noble from a serf? Whether they have their own or shared Supply?
John Risus I think that shared supply would probably not work in GoT unless all characters were from the same House (and perhaps not even then as house members plot against each other so frequently)
ReplyDeleteI think the real thing that would separate serfs from higborn is the fictional power of their supply (a high born could suffer -1 supply and feed a whole town, whereas a serf can suffer -1 supply to feed himself, or a high born suffering -supply to hire a mercenary company where a serf just couldn't make that move)
I also think that the method of Resupply produces some interesting narrative.
The serf character can go hunting or something and Bam, supply. A high born on the other hand is reliant on his estates and holdings to gain supply. This would make attacks on an enemy's estate particularly dangerous as you're cutting off their ability to take the resupply move
A noble with no access to supply might find themselves with a Condition (impoverished) that can only be removed by a successful Vow to regain the family fortune or similar
ReplyDeleteI think that at least in a game of nobles the spirit track might be more properly termed as 'Reputation', 'Honor' or similar to accurately describe what's being tracked. Then when something forces you to suffer -reputation then you would have to describe how what they're doing has negatively affected the other courtiers' opinion of you and your House.
I have the official Song of Ice and Fire rpg, let me take a look at it and see how they handle things and I'll post some more thoughts soon
Now that set of RPG rules are deep. I have it and a couple supplements as well. It's definitely deadly and handles the idea of the House well, but it's just to... much, for me.
ReplyDeleteI like the Spirit track rename. I also like individual supply, especially considering - like you say, players could come together and separate regularly. I really like that you can break rule number one with Ironsworn, "Never spit the party!"
I like your examples of scale in regards to Supply. Just not sure how lowborn could effect a noble's Supply. Basically how can you, if at all, mix characters of different Supply scale?
Well one possibility is that when the Nobleman is far from home his supply track behaves as a standard supply track governing food/water/etc
ReplyDeleteI think an option that I would probably prefer would be that everyone is a member of the same House and the Supply track would indicate their access to the House's resources, rather than being specific to that character. That would balance lowborn and noble supply. For the Lowborn in Service, the Resupply action probably involves them going to their lord and requesting coin/resources to do the thing they've been ordered to do.
One thing I'd like to explore is how to balance the benefits of nobility against the responsibilities, basically by using the Dungeon World "Show a downside of a class or ability" move and pelting the Highborn with a bunch of leadership problems
Make them bless babies and rule on whose cow this is along side bigger stuff like leading raiding parties against bandits and executions and such.
Set up a young wet behind the ears lord, with older advisors each trying to push there own agenda
ReplyDeleteAllan Prewett oh man that's a good one!
ReplyDelete