Guide Me G+ Oracle
Guide Me G+ Oracle
So I was using the Wright Asset to Secure An Advantage and (spoiler and no surprise) I rolled a big fat Miss! So, I have to Pay The Price...
Didn't know what to do, so I Ask The Oracle. I got (3) Weaken (27) Creation, which is eerily spooky since I was 'crafting'... and I love it, but, what should I do mechanically to represent this?
I visualize this as Nikkel making the items but she doesn't realize they are 'duds'.
So I was using the Wright Asset to Secure An Advantage and (spoiler and no surprise) I rolled a big fat Miss! So, I have to Pay The Price...
Didn't know what to do, so I Ask The Oracle. I got (3) Weaken (27) Creation, which is eerily spooky since I was 'crafting'... and I love it, but, what should I do mechanically to represent this?
I visualize this as Nikkel making the items but she doesn't realize they are 'duds'.
Oh, the Pay The Price roll was: A new danger or foe is revealed, which led me to the Oracle. The new danger is she doesn't know whatever she is trying to craft won't work. Would taking a -Momentum be appropriate? I just don't know, but I don't want to abandon this train of thought...
ReplyDeleteJohn Risus what is she crafting?
ReplyDeleteBjorsa Brimrsson Shock arrows that work well against Scrapper's Power Cells... I would have had the option of taking +2 Momentum toward this Vow if I would have rolled a Strong Hit. I wonder if narratively just not getting that Momentum is a suitable detriment or should I maybe take -1 Momentum, or if there is a better mechanical option to represent this?
ReplyDeleteGreenhorn to the system, but what about increasing the encounter difficulty while using the weapon. She might realise the error and have to run away to change weapons and then revert back to original difficulty with a fudge on the damage carry over.
ReplyDeleteJohn Risus I’m going to say to embed it somewhere in one of your Combat Moves. Have the malus show up as a -1 to your roll and/or automatically force a loss of initiative.
ReplyDeleteSomething that either weakens her overall damage output and/or gets her wrongfooted in an encounter since she’s ostensibly relying on it to tilt the balance in her favor.
Here's what I might do, which still gives you a bit of fun uncertainty. Mark your shock arrows down as "Likely duds".
ReplyDeleteThen, when you use them, make your Strike/Clash move as normal. On a hit, Ask the Oracle if the arrows fail (rate it as likely). If the Oracle answers "yes", change your attack to a miss. If the Oracle answers "no", then it's all good. Maybe even reward yourself with +1 harm.
That's an interesting space to play around in for crafted equipment, actually. I'll have to make a note of that if I ever do a Horizon Zero Dawn-pastiche theme pack of assets.
Thanks for the feedback. Allan Prewett, I like the idea of making the next Scrapper encounter one step harder to show her overconfidence and not knowing the arrows she made won't work as intended. Bjorsa Brimrsson not sure I want to track negative numbers. I don't see this as she is less of a threat than she usually is, she's just not as much of a threat as she thinks she is. So, I don't know that representing it as reduced damage is narratively appropriate, though raising the difficulty as Allan suggests does the same thing (less ticks on the progress tracker overall with hits). I'll have to ruminate on it a bit further...
ReplyDeleteShawn Tomkin, " I'll have to make a note of that if I ever do a Horizon Zero Dawn-pastiche theme pack of assets."
ReplyDelete* Squeals like a young school girl *
What must I sacrifice to make this a reality!? No, really, what?
Maybe instead of making all dud hits a miss, maybe drop them one step? Strong Hit becomes a Weak Hit, and a Weak Hit a 'Miss' or a hit without damage/effect?
Should I make the Progress Tracker for future encounters one step higher with this as well ya think?
John Risus, shifting the challenge up a rank seems like a bit of a severe penalty.
ReplyDeleteYou know what we should do as a short-term fix is look at the Rituals and re-skin them.
For example, Bind. Look at the first (default) option for that Ritual. Imagine that Bind is re-skinned as a crafting asset, and you get different stat bonuses depending on the materials (i.e. the machine remains you are crafting from). In this case, if you are crafting arrows, you might get +1 Edge. Thematically it's sort of cool because it's not dissimilar to bind, except you are binding the soul of a machine rather than an animal. You would also limit the stat bonus to when it is appropriate (for example, if it's arrows you only get the bonus when you shoot them).
Or, keen would be perfect for empowering a weapon with a short-term, unstable crafted enhancement.
The Ward ritual is perfect for crafting traps. Just re-skin that into creating a mechanical trap that can stun a machine.
Shawn Tomkin Thanks for the take on raising the difficulty of future threats. I'll run with the Likely Dud approach until it seems not to be narratively correct to do so.
ReplyDeleteI honestly glossed over the Rituals section due to, mistakenly, thinking it wouldn't be appropriate for the HZD setting.
I really like where your HZD asset pack thinking is heading. Take +1 Momentum and Undertake That Journey!!!
LOL, I don't know when I will get to the Dud Arrows though, Ironsworn has diverted Nikkel once again into yet another unknown adventure! - The dice are being extremely fickle this evening!