Hi all.

Hi all. Brand new in the community... Discovered Ironsworn yesterday and devoted the pdf... Congratulations to Shawn for such a great and well-thought out game.

Two questions already about the Example of play :
- First, p. 191, when Kuno and her horse are hit by the wyvern and Kuno takes 2 Harm, why doesn't she the roll for the "Endure Harm" move ?
- Second, more a "narrative" question : in this fight to protect two unknown people, Kuno has summoned the help of some of the people which she had "wowed to see safely to their new home"... and one of those warriors dies ! Wouldn't that pose a problem to Kuno regarding her vow, and you which Move or Roll would reflect this ? Also, wouldn't the people she escorted feel cheated/angry about this ? What Move/roll could reflect this ?
Sorry, maybe they are just "a narrative newbie"'s questions...

Comments

  1. Hi, A B. Welcome! And thanks for giving Ironsworn a look.

    Great catch on the Endure Harm. Wasn't in my notes for the session so I skipped over it in the re-telling. Also need to add Companion Endure Harm. I'll flag that for an edit!

    Also, good point re: the impact of the death. I sort of blithely rolled over it in my narrative, turning that poor guy into a bit of a red shirt. If I wanted to give it a bit more impact, I might do a couple of things:

    1) Perhaps not mark progress on the vow for overcoming the wyvern, since it was a tangent and I managed to get someone killed. Suffering -spirit and Test Your Spirit would have also been called for, certainly, if my character felt responsible for these folks. To be honest, it probably wasn't my greatest decision to have someone get killed off a strong hit, but I was playing off the match and apparently not feeling particularly kind at the time.

    2) Play out a scene where my ability to get these people safely to their new home is called into question. A Test Your Bond (if I have one) might be called for, or a Compel to keep things on the rails and avoid having groups split off on their own.

    However, I was treating this scene in isolation, so it sorta' just depends on the narrative up to that point. In my mind, there was some assumptions that the road would be dangerous and harsh, and this one death among dozens wouldn't undermine the vow, but it certainly might have been different depending on the preceding narrative if it was more fully played out. Weak-sauce answer: it depends :), but your point is well-taken and it's something to consider for a tweak to the play example. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A B great questions! Welcome to the Community.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment