I recently ran across Ironsworn via Reddit and was intrigued by the system.

I recently ran across Ironsworn via Reddit and was intrigued by the system. This Play Report is my first attempt at playing and learning the system. I wrote it a weak or so ago and I just now got around to editing and posting it. I do a few things wrong, which I realized only in hindsight. Nevertheless, it was lots of fun.

As a whole, I enjoyed the system and the experience. More than anything else, the system structure of solo play (and probably the other formats too) works as a writing framework that pushes the narrative forward regardless of the success or failure of the role. It is really very striking. Kudos to Shawn Tomkin for creating this system.


https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PocuWAtlTC4mTyiUJF9alRMnBreUZ8PB

Comments

  1. Welcome to the Party! I liked how you were telling the story in hindsight, made for an interesting read :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justin Gordon Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I was curious how the mechanics of the system would hold up when the story started in media res and then was retold in hindsight. It seemed solid and I'm glad others seemed to have enjoyed it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually started an AP a little while ago where I played out the last scene of the campaign first and then turned the clock back and used the scene I'd already set as kind of guide posts to find my way back to it. It's still in progress but it made for a pretty cool play.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Justin Gordon One of the things I was concerned about when writing post facto was what happens if Branwhyn had died? The challenges weren't overly terrible, so there wasn't a significant chance of that. Lady luck and her dice are fickle though. Did you have the same concern in your AP? Or any plans to deal with it if it came up?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeremiah Wenneker so one of the real strengths of Ironsworn is that you have a lot of options when it's time to Pay the Price.

    You have health loss, spirit loss, supply loss, fictional complications (being knocked down or losing something valuable) momentum loss, becoming maimed, becoming Corrupted and so on. With all of those options I can manage the risk of death easily while still punishing the character's misses appropriately and moving the narrative forward

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment