Rolled some dice today and didn't die!
Rolled some dice today and didn't die! See what happens when Kuno the scout interrupts a wyverns lunch. This is a relatively brief encounter to show some Ironsworn moves and oracles in action....
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HE6B4FVuWg3rPzPTZYtFluiYKKL5IsUE/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HE6B4FVuWg3rPzPTZYtFluiYKKL5IsUE/view?usp=sharing
Fantastic.
ReplyDeleteThis is badass!
ReplyDeleteShawn Tomkin I am very excited to see the great progress being made. Keep up the great work. I will definitely purchase this when ready.
ReplyDeleteThat... That.. Slow Clap
ReplyDeleteHopefully that is going to be a book example?
Hi, John Risus. Thanks! Funny you should mention. As I work on chapter 7 I am weaving in examples, but they are not diving as deep into the thought-process and specific rolls as I'm doing here. After writing this up, I thought to myself .. what if I had 3 of these types of scenes, complete with commentary, mechanics, and narrative, covering different types of situations (i.e. the journey, a combat scene, and a heavy social encounter). I'd follow a character as they make and fulfill a vow, basically. That could be a chapter unto itself, and would be a nice reference that readers can jump into whenever appropriate to help them internalize the system.
ReplyDeleteIt'd be a fair bit of work, and hella' inefficient in terms of page count, but I do like the idea.
The alternative is just to make them downloads with better formatting than I have in my rough-and-ready version here, but I know the majority of people wouldn't benefit from them in that case.
Shawn Tomkin, I really understand the appeal of keeping the page count down, especially if it is going to be a PoD option or similar.
ReplyDeleteIf it is going to be a PDF issued book, as long as it has a good ToC, I don't think most people would mind additional pages.
I will now add my two cents, as someone completely new to the narrative PbtA inspired format, I really would have benefited from this being in the book now.
Thankfully, it (Ironsworn) spurred my interest in it enough to stick with it and try and be an active member here. Really, if I hadn't done that and there weren't all the fabulous write-ups going on, I may - or even honestly, probably - have moved on, to my misfortune.
I guess what I am saying, or trying to justify, is that personally I would prefer to have the narrative examples in the same book/pdf. It may not need to be a single vow completion start to finish on continual pages, but with a unified character could be dispersed throughout the book.
I really feel that it would expand the interest out from not just PbtA people but also help to capture people that may have interest in, or run, other forms of narrative driven games. It would, again in my opinion, capture the imagination of people like myself, on the possibility of even solo play.
Well, for what it's worth, that's my opinion. I think I grok it enough now, either way, so I'm a long term supporter of Ironsworn, so you have captured at least one newb admirer / fanboy. LOL
That was awesome, I hate that it took me so long to get to read it!
ReplyDeleteJohn Risus
ReplyDeleteI'm not new to PtbA but the actual play helped my understanding of Ironsworn's mechanics immensely. I went from vague familiarity to deep grok (at least with the combat).
It's one thing to try and absorb the mechanics piecemeal and an entirely different animal to see them used in combination.
For example the actual play emphasized how Adventure moves compliment the Combat moves; that they shouldn't be thrown to the way-side just because you're in "Combat".
My vote is for as many actual play examples/general advice as possible in the Core book.
Agree with Omari Brooks
ReplyDeleteThanks for this short sample of how you play the encounters. It really helps ti understand how to play it solo.
ReplyDelete